Default Requeening a Russian Hive with an Italian Queen

I curently have 4 Russian Hives and 1 hive that I think is mutt Italian but not really sure (bees are from a swarm, are dark, are pretty hot and it might even bee a Russian queen I can't find -- long story posted elsewhere).

I intend to requeen 1 Russian hive and the Mutt Italian with Cordavan Italian queens.

I understand (from reading and experience) that switching from an Italian queen to a Russian queen can be difficult. Is the same true when you go from Russian to Italian?

To requeen Italians with Russians, I have kept the queen in the cage, without the cap removed, for a week. Should I do the same when it go from Russian to Italian?

Thanks,

ndvan

Default Anyone . . . Anyone?

My Italian queens should arrive tomorrow. Anybody know whether I should expect queen rejection problems switching from a Russian to an Italian queen? (I know there can be problems going the other way, but not whether going from Russian to Italian is any different.)

Also, I have decided not to requeen the Mutt Italian hive because its settled down and is growing like a weed. I want to make a nuc with the second queen to have one in reserve. If I pull two frames of brood, one of honey, one of foundation and use a division board feeder, will that work?

thanks,

ndvan

I wish I could tell you...I use Carnies and they do fine with Italians. Just make sure your new queens can say "Das va dan ya" and arrive with lots of vodka; they should be ok....maybe.

I've never had luck trying to introduce Italian or Carni queens to Russian. Italian & Carnis are more closely related , but the Russians are different and harder to intermix with. I've had Carni queens held in cages within Russian nucs,..and after as much as 10 days they seemed calm & accepting on the cage wire,.....only to off the queen within a few days of her release.

What might be a good plan is to get the Cordovans going in a nuc with a few frames from your Italian or Carni with emerging brood. Once you have an established nuc with their laying queen, it's easier (and safer for the queen) to combine these with the Russians. It's the field bees that will be less likely the accept the new queen, but if you combine , perhaps with newspaper with the new queen & her group on top. If you know the Russians are queenless, another way might be to set the Russian hive to the side, and put your Cordovan nuc in its place. It's likely that the bees will then intermix with less hostility,...but you should keep an eye on them just in case. Once they appear to be mixing well, then transfer to full boxes, adding the Russian frames in.

It's tricky intermixing Italian/Carni with Russian. At this point for myself, I try not attempting intermixing because it requires more care & watching than I have time for. But I think one could be succesful with care & patience, and the proper manipulations. Good luck & keep us posted as to your results.

I tried to start a nuc with Italian bees and a Russian queen. I took out all of the attendants and let them be without a queen for 24 hours. They killed her as soon as I put her in. I am going to make some nucs, today. I will use a push in cage to make their odds better. I read several posts on how to make one and install. Good luck !
    life is like a box of chocolates,you never know what you are gonna get