Default new to beekeeping

I'm new to Beekeeping and am interested in finding out as much info as possible. Does anyone know any Beekeepers in the Kansas City Mo area?

Default new to beekeeping

I'm also going tomorrow to buy a hive with bees already established..I'm sure I will ask the gentleman a ton of questios when I buy it but I like multiple opinions. What all is necessary to set it up properly and what supplies will I need?

hey rriley. Welcome to beekeeping! It's great that you're getting some advice before you get set up. I wish I had set everything up differently!! For equipment I would get the following.

4 medium hive bodies (for the bees) Either 8 frame or 10 frame
    2 medium hive bodies to use as "honey supers"
    screened bottom board
    entrance reducer
    frames
    foundation
    inner cover
    outer cover
    hive stand - either buy one or build something.
    smoker
    feeding device. I use a pail feeder, but there are all sorts of options
    bees
    a hive tool

also handy are frame rests, extra equipment in case you need to do a split, swarm traps in case you want to catch one and a bee brush.

It's nice to have all the same size equipment because things are interchangeable. If you need to take a frame of honey from the "honey supers" to put in the hive bodies, you can do that with no problems!

You'll need some sort of a screened bottom board. I like the country rubes bottom board, but if you don't have the money, you can just get a regular screened bottom board that fits on a hive stand.

My preference would be a top entrance. You can read more about it here. http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm You can also read about a lot of other things on this website. Michael Bush has a lot of info that just makes sense, and his ideas make beekeeping easier for you!

You'll need some sort of protective gear for yourself. I have a full suit, but if you don't want one at least get a vail and some gloves.

And lastly, don't forget to have an I.P.M Integrated Pest Management program. You'll need to make sure you keep on top of varroa mites. There are a multitude of things you can do from small cell/ natural cell, powdered sugar dusting, api life var, apiguard, apistan, and so on. Nosema is also a common problem, so do a search on that and read about methods for prevention/treatment.

Good luck! Beesource is a great place to learn. The people here are very supportive, and don't be afraid to ask any and all questions!
    Let's BEE friends

Default new from kc

rriley- Howdy neighbor, I too started new this year, and in the past week have picked up 2 swarms and a cutout hive(up to 4 hives fast!). They seem to be swarming right now so thats free bee's, if you have the hives to put them in!!! There are some BEEfolks down towards O-Park and Olathe. I met a guy from Lathrop the other day too and there is a couple up here in Cameron that just started some bee's.
    I went to the local police station to inform them I would pick up swarm bee's and have got 2 calls last week alone. If you want to try it? Look on this website for anything you can imagine. There are some helpful sorts on this site.
    Where did you pick up a hive? Where do you live in KC? I'm up north in Cameron.
    Our season is starting off pretty good food wise but you might try a little sugar water to see if they'll take it until they find all the flowers and such.
    I have started out pretty simple. The closest BIG beeware place is Dadant across the Missisippi River up NorthEast in Illinois. I bought an Apiary kit from "Mann Lake" w/ 2big and 2 medium supers complete w/ frames. Now these frames had plasticell(plastic) foundation and you read alot of good and bad from here about plastic. Personally I spent another $20 for new frames and put in wax foundation. Was that the right idea who knows!!! Its a learning curve and I'm just ahead of you if I'm lucky!!!
    PM me anytime. I like to learn this stuff and working w/ locals is nice way of seeing what they do different and if it works better. Its about time we get things buzzing here in the west side of our state!!!
    Good Luck!!!

Default Hi Zane

Hi Zane, Yup I'm new alright I'm suppose to meet a guy in Paola Ks tomorrow morning to buy 2 hives with bees from him then I'm off to my dads farm..Dad live is Bucklin its about an hour East of Cameron...I used to live in Cameron a few years ago..I would love to stop by up there sometime and bend your ear about bees sometime....my email is rriley@kcpd.org my cell is 816-694-5857...

Welcome Rriley and best of luck with the bees. You've come to a great place for beekeeping info.
    "My child, eat honey, for it is good." (Proverbs 24:13)

rriley,

Welcome to the forum. What parts of Kansas City are you in? I started (or became infected?) with beekeeping 3 years ago with no experience at all. You might want to join the Midwestern Beekeepers Association if you're looking for an easy way to talk to a bunch of local veteran and newbee beekeepers. They've been very helpfull even if your just listening to their experiences and wanting to learn more. I'll be harvesting this weekend off of my 5 hives. Contact Joli at joli@heartlandhoney.com for more info.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Welcome to the hobby! You'll find this site to be the best on the web for learning!
    Find A Beekeeper - Swarm List
    "There's nothing wrong with me, it's the rest of the world that has a problem"

Welcome to our addiction. If you are looking for a good place to get your equipment. Try Larry and Brenda at drapers super bee in auburn nebraska. Cant find better people and they are close to you