Default Comb length on bars

Hello, I started two TBH’s in Powell, Wyoming and am coming back to beekeeping after 50 years. I helped my uncle work his 500 traditional hives as a kid. I have a small vineyard and garden and have noticed a dearth of honeybees the last few years so when I read about TBH’s on Wy Bee Wranglers site I became very interested and decided to try some.

I got no help from the area pro beekeepers so I ordered a package of Minn Hyg. And a package of NWC. They arrived unexpectedly during a full-blown spring blizzard the end of April. After many trials and stupid beek problems my girls have slowed taking syrup and are building comb like crazy.

MY question – My hives are straight-sided deeps sized to take two supers on top if I want to. The bees in one hive have 14+ bars with comb halfway across and the bees in the other hive have 7+ bars with comb the full length. WHY? Both hives are treated alike and only 75’ apart.

Any comments appreciated.

Don't worry...
    Bee happy!
    If, for some odd reason you want them to build full bar length, you can use a follower board to restrict their space. I'm not quite sure why?
    But you could...
    Just to show them who's in charge!

Thanks Aram for your comment.

I guess it was a stupid question. I will leave them alone. I was trying to understand why they built comb in such different ways. The package bees seemed to be a mix plus I added a lb. of Italians to both hives on top of the packages so I don't think it has anything to do with the type of queen.

My only observation was that when I hived the bees during a blizzard one package clustered on the long side of the hive and one package clustered on the short end of the hive. Neither cluster ever moved they just built comb from where they started. Maybe the explaination is just that simple and I am overthinking the whole thing.

The weather has been bee horrible and I have not opened the brood nest as yet. Maybe this weekend I will attempt to investigate and see what the differences are from inside the the clusters.