Default comb building trouble

I know this question has been asked many times,but I'm not sure what to do.
    When inspecting my top bar hive I find that when I try to seperate the top bars from each other the bees have built the comb straight, but some has been connected to the comb on the next bar over. Last night I brought a knife with me and as I seperated the bars I took the knife and sliced down to seperate the two combs. This is in the brood area of the hive.Should I just leave them alone? Am I wasting my time trying to seperate the comb?Should I be doing this where they have brood? It seems to be about 1-3 inches of attached comb,not the whole comb attached to the next one over.

Default hmmmm

i guess everyone is stumped

How wide are your bars? It sounds to me like maybe your bars are just a little too wide and they're building burr comb in between because the beespace has been violated. Just my thought, I'm a newbie so I may be wrong.

I've had that happen a few times now. They fixed it. Mine was a couple of sq. inches. No big deal. Like Eng. said. What are your bar sizes? I did not worry about being carefull enough to open slowly to be able to cut with a knife. I just used my hive tool and split the bars. Then I noticed the comb that was together. I did noting to fix mine. And last Monday's inspection I had no comb stuck together and did not even notice the old spots that were.

Default Comb Building

If the bars are too wide, they may build brace comb. I was speaking to
    a university speaker in the past about drawing comb and he said comb building
    can vary in different strains. In TBH having good comb builders would be an
    advantage.

Default bar size

my bars a 1 3/8 wide

derek, after you seperated them with a knife, they fixed the cut and they are not connected anymore ?

I didn't seperate mine with a knife. It just tore apart when I pulled the bars. And it is not connected anymore. On the attached pic. The upper left corner is where it tore apart and them fixing it.

http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/40...600x600Q85.jpg