Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Best beekeeping books?

this paper was written in november of 1920 in ontario.across the country with winters half the length of where i live. seem like my point is still quite valid. now a days in british columbia like i said it left to the beekeepers. looking for the most up to date scientific literature based around beekeeping. thanks for all input thus far.i'm looking for the heavy read publications.backyard beekeeping books are fine and well. But fall rather short. and when looking for books on bee entomology the only thing that i can find is honey bee democracy. I need either text books or papers that where such a big break through they where published as books. everything and anything that has made a serious impact.
    Last edited by KvasirApiaries; 04-20-2017 at 09:07 PM.

this seem fantastic! thank you very much

There are tidbits of great information in most bee books. On my desk right now are both The Hive and the Honey Bee and the ABC & XYZ of Bee Culture. Both are great references; ABC & XYZ contains more beekeeper biographies. On the shelf above my desk are Winston's The Biology of the Honey Bee, Xerces Society, 100 Plants to feed the Bees; Sanford & Bonney's Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees; Koeniger et al Mating biology of honey bees; Lovell's Honey Plants of North America; Hemenway, Advanced Top Bar Beekeeping and Heaf's translation of Natural Beekeeping with the Warre Hive. The to read pile includes: de Layens' Keeping Bees in Horizontal Hives, Chandler's The Barefoot Beekeeper, and Jamoke's Dr Jamoke's Little Book... My intro class uses Bee-Sentials as the text, My intermediate class uses The Beekeepers Handbook.

You get what you pay for with books. In preparing for class tonight I looked at The History of American Beekeeping, Beekeeping in America and Eva Crane's The Archaeology of Beekeeping & Honey Hunting, along with the The Hive and The Honey Bee.

I don't even want to think about what is upstairs, or what was taken to class to let people see.

For magazines ABJ (of course) and Bee Culture, also Bee Craft and Bee World.

I love the fact that much of the first 40 years of ABJs have been digitized and are available on-line for free. See the Phillips Library at Cornell.

New observations on the natural history of bees by François Huber.
    David.

One of my bookshelves full of bee books:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/images/BeeC...6/Library3.jpg
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    One of my bookshelves full of bee books:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/images/BeeC...6/Library3.jpg
    Michael - have you considered offering The Practical Beekeeper as an electronic format for sale on Amazon?
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12