Default Top bar Hive at one week

Here's a web page with photos of my one week old top bar hive, plans from Michael Bush.

http://web.mac.com/bakerboy/iWeb/Site/Hives.html

I was frankly amazed at how much comb they built. These photos are representative of 11 out of 13 bars, and they are huge. It seems that these girls have done in one week what my langstroth girls have done in three.

Also included are a few shots of the lang girls.

My friends three year old son was very interested, and without us really noticing wandered right in front of the entrance and stood there. Much of the hive's inbound traffic just kind of lined up behind him. Not one even landed on him. Sweet bees.

Great pics! It's amazing how fast they build. Everything looks good. Where did you get your bees? Just curious.

Default gentle bees

The very gentle girls came from betterbee here in upstate NY. I actually think they came from Wilbanks Apiaries in Georgia.

The girls in the tbh are not quite so gentle, they came from a friend who shook a bunch of bees into a mesh bag, found their queen and caged her, and then showed up at my place an hour later. They are still gentle to my way of thinking, I think they are a little more defensive since they came more or less intact, with their queen in about an hour.

Nice photos and the bees are busy building that fast.

Default New package in TBH

Well,

I am amazed! I hived a package finally in the MB style TBH I built, tired of waiting for a swarm this cold spring up here. 9 combs in 3 days, and a friend did the same and got 9 combs in his, simply amazing.

Wonder how long they keep the 3 combs per day pace?