Default Book / URL and article recommendations for newbies

While I am new to TBHs, I have a year of Lang under my belt. I have a friend whose family wants to get into beekeeping, very origanic/naturapath mindset. They already know they want to start by building a TBH, and I pointed them to the Michael Bush, beewrangler and barefoot beekeeper online stuff, which are all treasures.

Since they are brand new, I was gonna tell them to read Beekeeping for Dummies and then enrich that with TBH guidance from the web. But that can be confusing, as beekeeping is complicated for the beginner, let alone this learn one thing but do another thing two-step.

Is the rest of the Barefoot Beekeeper book a beginner's manual also?

Thanks for any guidance

Default TBH book recommendations for newbies

Well,

I'll be the first to respond, then.

Looks like a wide open opportunity for beekeeping authors, a TBH based intro book to beekeeping.

I'm a total beginner with bees and TBH's. I have had to do exactly as you describe - read the standard texts, and fill in the blanks (regarding TBH's) based on on-line information. I suppose the nice thing about not having a standardized text top purchase is it keeps the whole thing democratic and very DIY.

The best thing would be to read books about bees only. Books with not so much info on hives.
    Sig

Try looking here: http://www.biobees.com/

Phil has written a TBH book called the barefoot beekeeper which I thought was pretty good and he emphasizes the minimal intervention approach. Of course, no one source will give you everything you need.

spwg

Default BioBees

Quote Originally Posted by spwg View Post
    Try looking here: http://www.biobees.com/

Phil has written a TBH book called the barefoot beekeeper which I thought was pretty good and he emphasizes the minimal intervention approach. Of course, no one source will give you everything you need.

spwg
    Yes,

My friend will be buying it.