Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Captured a Swarm at the TV News Station (news story to follow)

5K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  EngineeringBeek 
#1 · (Edited)
This morning I was called by a furniture store about a swarm behind their building. The swarm was on a guardrail type post between their property and the news station's property. The news station had already called somebody else but I arrived first. When the other beek arrived he let me take the swarm as he played commentary on the mic for the camera. All went well and the swarm was put in the box with only one sting to the camera man. They interviewed both of us beeks. They asked questions about why the bees do this. What should be done about it and how they can contact a beekeeper to come collect the swarm. They asked why we think it is important to save the bees rather than spray them. They said that it would likely be the main story on tonights news. I think this is going to be great for educating people on bees and helping to save them. I will post a link to the news story as soon as it runs and they post it online.

***EDIT***
Direction to view the story: I was quite disappointed at how much they cut out of the story. They didn't even include much of the directions on what to do and how to know who to call. Once again the media lets me down.
Go to www.wthitv.com
You will see a video screen on the right hand side of the screen. Under the screen there will be small thumbnail photos that can be viewed. Scroll to the right until you get to the story "Bees attach WTHI Station"

See less See more
#15 ·
I just did a cutout today in Brazil. My hives have all been filled with swarms so I actually had to call a friend that helped do it and he took the bees because I had committed to the cutout before I filled all my hives. I'm surely not doing it for free, but I may do it if the person is willing to pay.

#17 ·
Well, I think a trapout could be done to harvest the work force of the bees. These could likely be combined with another colony or they could be given some fresh brood and/or eggs and raise a new queen. Then the remainder could be sprayed. I've never done a trap-out before but I would be willing to try it. I have top bar hives and I have a small 15 bar box that could be put up at the level of the entrance if it isn't too high up. Are they willing to pay though? If not I'd rather let it go because swarms are much easier and I've been getting plenty of swarm calls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.