I agree with iddee, I had a package with a dead queen in the introduction cage. I installed the package and called the supplier. There were no queens available in a timely manner so not to have them develop laying workers. I decided to combine them with another package then split them when a new queen arrived. It was two day before I could do this. When I opened the hive I found eggs and a nice fat queen laying them.
It’s possible that you had two queens in the package one old one young, the younger queen or the worker bee may have sorted out the pecking order.
The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.