Thread: 9 1/2 boxes ?

Default 9 1/2 boxes ?

I think I recall a discussion here on running regular 9 1/8 frames in a 9 1/2 box instead of the regular 9 5/8 boxes.

Could anyone please point me to it? I can't find it by searching.

Or, if I recall wrong...

Has anyone tried that - running regular 9 1/8 frames in a 9 1/2 box instead of the regular 9 5/8 boxes?
    Is the beespace violation too much?
    How did the bees penalize it?

And if you did it, where did you take the 1/8 off from? Top, bottom, or framerest?

Default Yes

You take it off the bottom. If your 3/8" beespace is above the frames, your frames will now be flush with the bottom of the super. Wood shrinks, you will find in a few years that the frames are hanging below th bottom of the box. If you have a beespace at the top that is more than 3/8 if an inch, they will hang below th bottom of the box to start with. Most boxes start with less than 3/8" beespace above the frames.

Standard deep frames are 9 1/4". A 9 1/8" frame would work fine in a 9 1/2" box and would not violate beespace at all.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Standard deep frames are 9 1/4". A 9 1/8" frame would work fine in a 9 1/2" box and would not violate beespace at all.
    Don't you mean standard deep frames are 9-1/8", standard medium depth are 6-1/4", and standard shallow frames are 5-3/8" deep.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

>Don't you mean standard deep frames are 9-1/8", standard medium depth are 6-1/4", and standard shallow frames are 5-3/8" deep.

Everyone keeps cheating, but standard deep frames used to be 9 1/4" and standard deep boxes 9 5/8". I don't know why they don't just bite the bullet and make the boxes a one by ten (9 1/4") and the frames 8 7/8" and have it done with.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If as was discussed in another thread, you are making boxes from exterior grade plywood you can fudge the depth at 9.5" and get 25 deep boxes from four 4x8 sheets of plywood with very little waste.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."