Thread: Got lucky

Default Got lucky

I hived 2 packages 3 weeks ago in tbh's I built with Michael Bush's instructions/dimensions. Didn't have time to put a comb guide on the bars though, so i took a few bars from an old hive that had guides and put them at about every 10 bars or so.
    Did a thorough check today: there is brood, drones, pollen, honey- and all the bars are easily moved . Most of them are straight too, only had to tweak the bottoms on 2 or 3 between both hives. Both hives have 9 bars of comb in various stages. Guess the bees did me the favor and are building straight so far...

>Guess the bees did me the favor and are building straight so far...

Considering you left off most of the guides, I guess they did. I've tried it that way just to see what the spacing would be, but I usually put one drawn comb in the middle and check them often to make sure they didn't get a wild hair.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Forgot to mention that I did put one drawn comb from a previous hive (with honey in it) about 1/3 to 1/2 down the hive. Guess that may have helped them get their bearings?

Default Here are some pix

Here are some pix of my hives.

>Guess that may have helped them get their bearings?

Yes. That helps a lot.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF