Default Bee removal Chillicothe, Missouri

I got a call today from a buiding demolition company wanting a bee hive removed from a building in Chillicothe, Mo. Contact: Dave Nelson of Eco Circle @ 816-728-7300

He wants to save the bees if possible and says they are 'easy to get to'. I was checking voice mail messages and this was one but I haven't called him back yet.

Default Bee Removal

I got the same call Today. I'm about 20 miles out of Chillocothe. I have met a 14 young man near Chillocothe that got interested in these bee's and invited him to come along and help. He seems interested in getting started in bee keeping. Pretty cool at his age I thought!

I wonder how many phone calls this fellow made trying to get the bees taken care of properly, rather than killed off. It's a good testament to the concern many people share for bees today. Zane, I'm glad you found a young sidekick to take under your wings- the kid will never be the same after this experience. It will be a maturing thing for him to experience.

Yeah, Dan seemed to offer a nice service of recycling most the buildings he knocks down. I have only talked to the 14 yr old on beesource so far but have planned on getting him over to have a look at what bee stuff I have going on after school got out. I was hoping to catch some swarms by now. I have 3 kids 16,18,&19 and they have yet to show as much interest! He'll be fun to learn with I think!!! I hope this swarm thing works out.
    Swobee, How close to the town of Hays are you? I drive through that ways going to Colorado ever so often. Mind if I give you a holler to see your girls(BEEs that is!) sometime if the timing is right? My next trip over is the end of June ino July. We always stop @ Hays for a break and a walk around Wallyworld!

Zane,

I'm in the town of Hays and my closest hives are just outside city limits. They are new 2008 hives- swarms, splits and nucs. We're slightly over a mile south of I-70 and 7 blocks west. Just follow the well-worn path my wife has between Wallyworld and our house! Send me a PM before you plan to stop by and we'll try to work with your travel schedule.

ok will do Swobee. What did you do before Wallyworld? go see the snake pit or the terradactyl on the weekend? it sure has changed!!! in the past years.

We haven't been to the museum for a while. There's something new periodically there that always intrigues me. If you've never stopped in there, it's worth it in my opinion. Fossils found by Mr. Sternberg can be found in many major museums around the world. My little grandson doesn't think much when the animated dinosaurs roar- scares the daylights out of him! PM me when you plan your next trip and I'll get you my cell ph. # so we can look at the bees and maybe you can teach me something!

Yeah like that will happen. I'm the newbee here!!!lol
    Yes the museun is nice, but its been a while for me also.
    I'll pm ya when I get heading that way. thx

Default Bee removal

Dave called me today while I was out picking up my first swarm. He wants me to come out tomorrow and get them. They are up in a soffit but he has scaffolding and chainsaws ready to use on this building they want to tear down real soon. I guess from what I remember reading I'll cut out the surrounding area, collect some comb, the queen and put them in my hive. Then wait until evening and gather up the bee's that hopefully have collected into the hive? Am I missing anything??? I hope the 14 yr old can come over and help. Depends on what mom says!!!

Default My first Cutout(ch)!

Well I went over to do this cutout. No big deal right! Up on a concrete column 10' up. There is scaffolding around so I can get up there and get those bee's. 2 days and over 75 stings later we have our bee's!!! What a job. Thanks to Rodney from Lathrop(a bee pro who happened to be working in town) who helped out a bunch, I learned what its like to do a cutout! I also learned what its like not to have a good bee suit!!!, the after effects of that many stings and why all you big sissy's(me too now!!!) don't do cuouts!!!! I learned alot. It was fun in a way but I just had to do one!!! Now the column next to it has a hive of different bee's. It killed a drone of ours when we put it up to the other hole. Oh the thoughts going through my head right about now! One side says run like a deer and the other side says run faster that an deer away from that idea!!!! Oh I'll probably go out there and hopefully w/ some assistance from Rodney we will save some of those "dwindling" bee's. Not today! I need a little break for my sore arms, face, neck, legs, heck I guess I'm pretty much sore all over!!! Now I see why you folks get hooked on bee's

Now I see why you folks get hooked on bee's
    and also why we buy a really good suit to wear while doing it.

On my last couple removals I walked away without even one sting.
    Troy

TROY, Regarding the "good" suits. I liked the nice suit that my nuc contact had but is it durable for those heavy duty cutouts? I was crawling over this scaffolding for hours. Just wondering how they withstand the "work"? I'll probably end up w/ one good one anyway but will I need to get a sturdy canvas or cotton backup suit for them messy cutouts??
    Thx

Zane,

Yeah, I bought one of the mesh suits from magnet man on this forum. It's a great suit. Pretty heavy duty and (if there is a stiff breeze) it is markedly cooler.

I have gotten numerous stains on my suit, but I had lamented if I I had it to do over again, I might try some white bib overalls and a jacket or some other arrangement, just so I don't get my best suit all dirty.

I spilled one of the West Beetle Trap trays full of oil down the front of my suit once, so it is permanently stained now anyway - so it is too late for my suit. I will just use this one until I can't anymore and then I'll buy a new one.

I charge enough for these removals to easily justify buying a new suit every year.
    Troy

Thanks Troy for that info. I was tearing out concrete and wirecloth out and I wondered if the suit would withstand it? I haven't had any problems @ home w/ my few bee's yet but that cutout really got my attention. Magnet man has contacted me. Nice guy and a good product. His reputation has already confirmed that!

Welcome to the world of cut outs. 50 to 100 more and you will go totally insane, like me, and be able to wear anything......or nothing.

One hint.....cut the outer comb out first, working toward the center. The queen will move as you cut. If you start on one side, she will move to the other side and out. Cutting all around first, then to the center, she will be on the last few combs.

Idee I almost went insane the day after I realized I had over 75 cute little stinger holes in me!!!(whats the best thing to flush my system out of all that poison? I had a headache for days) .I did work from the outside in on the comb w/ a crazy mule farmer named Rodney from Lathrop. He actually found what he thought was a virgin queen by the way she acted. The hive looked small so we think it swarmed before we got there. They are doing well and finally a bit more forgiving of me tearing up their very old home that was about to get torn down. Living out in the country with the birds and the flowers. No cars and bothersome kids throwing rocks The perfect bee community! I might take a week off before my next cutout!!! I need to get a suit first anyway.I aint no redneck with no shirt!!!