Default Minimum Entrance size

Hi

A week ago I hived my second bunch of bees, in a kenyan top bar hive. For an entrance I just left a 1/2 inch space between the first and second bars, which worked fine until the rain.

I think the bars swelled slightly, reducing the gap to 1/4 inch. Is this too small ? I went out in the rain and the roof does keep the bars dry, I think the swelling was from general humidity.

The bees are coming and going all right, I did notice a bunch of drones buzzing around the entry, but not really landing. This could also be my imagination, I guess.

I don't want to change the width of the bars to increase the entry, so I am going to shave a bit off the top of the follower board if the entrance needs to be bigger.

A 1/4" seems a bit narrow to me. How about drilling a few 1" holes somewhere to avoid the rain problem?
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." - P.J. O'Rourke

>I think the bars swelled slightly, reducing the gap to 1/4 inch. Is this too small ? I went out in the rain and the roof does keep the bars dry, I think the swelling was from general humidity.

1/4" is a bit small for the drones but they will probably squeeze in. Pull the back one out and slide them back and you'll have 1 1/2". Make a 3/4" wide one and put it at the back and you'll only have a 3/4" entrance.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF