Hybrid View

Default O KAY! I NEED SOME HELP....PLEASE... In regards to an old extractor

I have an old Dadant extractor..galvanized aluminum....some rust...was wondering if I could pressure wash it...sandblast it, and coat it with some sort of food grade...whatever, and make it usable, or should I just donate it to a museum.. It was last used about 6-7 years ago...Has been in a storage shed for awhile......Any help will be appreciated...Thanks, Mindy

We had one which we just sold. If it runs it is worth something to someone with the time to fix it up, if you don't want to tackle it yourself. Kellys I think sells the food grade epoxy to paint the interior.
    Sheri

Thank you all so much for your input....I just wanted to be sure that I was not wasting my time on this extractor....Last time I used it it ran great...After that, I borrowed one from our beekeeping association, and that one worked okay, but if I remember correctly it wobbled alot and should have been anchored somehow.. My goal is to have all my equipment in top shape when I finally have some honey to extract....Thanks again. Min

I purchased a galvanized extractor a couple years ago off of the forums here. It had very minor rust on some pieces. I completely tore it down cleaned it and coated everything with the Camcote food grade epoxy. I put on 3 coats total and I haven't needed to recoat yet. For a hobbyist I couldn't be happier. Of course if all goes well I may need to upgrade to a bigger extractor next year though.

Nice extractor for sale anyone?!?
    If you see me runnin' you'd better keep up!
    http://hillshivery.blogspot.com/

oops...sorry,..........Thanks for your input...it gives me hope.....Today, I called a couple of sandblasting places, and I received one "ball park estimate" over the phone, with the coatings and all of around 500.00!!! I almost fainted!!! Does this seem reasonable? I could buy a new 2 frame extractor for that much!!!! I think that maybe the guy didn't really know what I was talking about, but if anyone has any idea of how much it would cost....for real.....I would appreciate it....Or, maybe I could just rent a sandblasting machine and do it myself....Input PLEASE.............Again, what I have is an old 2 frame motorized extractor....galvanized tank and very rusty gears and brake..... Thanks again everyone........Min

Hi,
    If you have an air compressor you could buy a media blaster for about $50, and do it yourself for under $100.
    I know harbor freight sells them in that price range.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by min79854 View Post
    oops...sorry,..........Thanks for your input...it gives me hope.....Today, I called a couple of sandblasting places, and I received one "ball park estimate" over the phone, with the coatings and all of around 500.00!!! I almost fainted!!! Does this seem reasonable? I could buy a new 2 frame extractor for that much!!!! I think that maybe the guy didn't really know what I was talking about, but if anyone has any idea of how much it would cost....for real.....I would appreciate it....Or, maybe I could just rent a sandblasting machine and do it myself....Input PLEASE.............Again, what I have is an old 2 frame motorized extractor....galvanized tank and very rusty gears and brake..... Thanks again everyone........Min
    Lord you could buy a compressor the sandblaster and everything you need for that price. This is just an idea but if there is a vocational school near by that teaches auto body you may want to inquire if they have a sand blaster and just pay for a night class and do it. I know the classes are pretty resonable like 65 bucks around here and other then that all your out is your materials plus you have teacher present to lend some knowledge if you have any problems. One other thing if there are any holes in the galvinized tank make sure they are patched by someone who knows what they are doing as welding or cutting will produce very toxic fumes.