Default HELP ME .........swarm

i need some help. just saw my first swarm of bees light in a tree in front of the house. begger than a softball. all i have is some shallow frames made up and i'm putting foundation in them now. will a swarm stay in undrawn shallow foundation? Now what do i do? i'm kinda excited right now, this is my first swarm and i don't want it to get away.

They'll stay if the conditions suit them. If you've got a few frames of foundation ready along with something to feed them they'll be more likely to stick around. I'd go get them and plunk 'em in a hive body with whatever resources I had and see what happens.

i've got extra medium boxes made up, just don't have any frames made for them yet. should i put on top with a feeder in it? just like a package set up.
    never caught a swarm before, this is my first.

You are going to want to feed them (1 to 1) so hopefully you have some sugar and a feeder handy. This will also help them to draw out your foundation.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

ok i cut the limb and shook them over the hive. about a fourth or less lit back up on the limb. the rest started walking into the hive. i added the another box with a top feeder. will the rest of the small cluster come down to the hive or should shake them again? thanx

all the bees went back up the tree. i made another cut. hope it get's them this time.

As soon as most all of them are in the box, move them from the area of the tree. The returning scout bees may convince them to go somewhere else if you don't.

got them all in the box. added another medium super with foundation.. hopefully this will give them enugh room. will move them back to the bee yard and see if they stay. thanks for all the help everybody.

Congrats on your first swarm. Exciting, isn't it? Hopefully they stick around and do well with your good help.

We fell into a couple of deals this year that I found interesting. One swarm collected in a maple tree right next to my home's driveway in town where I happen to park my trailer. I had some hive bodies and other materials in the trailer and I assume they smelled the used foundation and other bee odors. Put them right into a hive body, moved them to a close by location I'd been wanting to try out and they've been doing great.

The shed we store supers & brood chambers in has a gap or two at the sliding doors. Feral bees come and go often in and out this building on a normal day. Yesterday, I was loading up some hive bodies and thought 'there sure are a lot of bees in this one...' Sure as heck, there was a small swarm taking residence (squatters) in it. I like it when they come to me instead of the other way around. None of these swarms were from our hives- too far away to be ours.

i was pretty nervous catching my first one. i didn't want to let it get away. my bee yard is about a quarter mile away, but there is a neighbor about 200 yards away. i assume they were his but haven't checked my yard the last couple of day's. my son and i looked out the living room window and i said something is flying like bees out there. went out the front door and you could hear them buzzing. landed abut 15 foot up in a maple. couldn't believe it. i set this hive out back here in the pasture. how long does it take for a swarm to build up to a strong colony? this will give me four hives, so i guess i'm on my way to becomming a bee keeper. thanx everybody.