Default The ladies are in residence!

At last, after months of prep and reading, I can now start getting the practical experience that will help let me become a beekeeper. We picked up our 2 packages yesterday and hived them in the afternoon. Today, they're out and about and seem fairly content. The fun begins.

Many, many thanks to all of you who share your experience with others on this forum. It has been invaluable for me as I have made decisions and laid out the path I would like to follow with my bees.

Another question, if I may. I am feeding 1:1 syrup via top feeders. I put 2 gallons in each feeder yesterday. I know I should not open the hive for at least a week but I think I can check the level of syrup tomorrow without a problem. Is that correct?

John

Not a problem. Lift the covers and see how much feed they're taking. Be ready to refill at the same time in case they're being little piggies.

Thanks, Barry. I'll check them tomorow AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeshooter View Post

Another question, if I may. I am feeding 1:1 syrup via top feeders. I put 2 gallons in each feeder yesterday. I know I should not open the hive for at least a week but I think I can check the level of syrup tomorrow without a problem. Is that correct?

John
    Hi John,

Just a tip from Justin at Betterbee (I believe that is where you got your packages yesterday... I was there too), he told us at the beekeeping class to only add 1/4" - 1" of syrup to the hivetop feeder. Since it is on an angle I put about 3/4" at the feeding end. I guess it's not considered 'opening the hive' because it only gains access to the feeder and the chamber is still covered.

I went out today (couldn't resist) and checked the level of syrup. After 24hrs it was down about 1/4" so I topped it off. I'll probably wait until Tuesday or Wednesday to check again. Only one dead bee. There were about 15 in the feeder getting syrup. I'll consider that success.

Hope all is going well in your hives! We head back to Betterbee this Friday for my second package. We decided since they were so close to only hive one package at a time - although I would have rather had hived them on May 3rd & 10th instead of the 17th & the 23rd!

Keith

Hi, Keith.

Thanks for the tip. I had not heard that and now I'm wondering what to expect tomorrow.

I was at Better Bee yesterday. I thought they did a good job moving so many people through the pick up line quickly.

Glad your bees are doing well! I hear you about the 2 week delay getting them. Our season is already rather short. Good luck!

John