Thread: Follow board

Default Follow board

I don't have one, I figured I'd just deal with shoddy comb work. I want to cycle the brood comb anyway to try regressing.

Am I just making trouble for myself down the line?

It's probably handy to have one, but I've never bothered to make one. But limiting the space tends to also get them going in the right direction more. Less room for them to go wild in.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    It's probably handy to have one, but I've never bothered to make one. But limiting the space tends to also get them going in the right direction more. Less room for them to go wild in.
    I won't worry about it then, definitely on my 'stuff to try' list for next time.

My two tbhs are new this year and so far are only using a few of the 30 bars available. I have installed follower boards and created nucs on the opposite ends of the hives. Very handy for queen rearing, temporary storage of odd frames (my hives will take deep frames), etc.

My queens have been laying in these pretty white combs as fast as they are built. Today I see some nectar storage started.

After fighting two or three supers on my langstroths to manipulate frames in the brood boxes, these tbhs are a joy to work with. My original idea of supering these hives might get scrapped.

After my girls stopped paying attention to the syrup bag, I figured they could do what they want. I moved the follower board to the very back.

They're going nutso. When I pull the window open I'm shocked every time. By the warmth coming off the glass, by the capped brood, etc.

I haven't found a reason yet to open the hive and pull the bars up. Don't know if I'm going to until I super it.

Have a second TBH if I am lucky to get a swarm. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by mxr618 View Post
    I haven't found a reason yet to open the hive and pull the bars up. Don't know if I'm going to until I super it.

Open it up! I want to know whats going on. How are you going to super it?