...good thing it's not to steep.
So I started marking today for the first time.
I have the red pen for this years queens but they came marked...yeah!
but i have older queens. They are hard to find sometimes and I also do not know how old they all are. Either a year or two.
So because i did not know the year I had to pic a color that was out of sorts. The off ice sstores in Winnipeg seemed to have none. so i improvised...out came the testors paint...bright orange...lovely color.
Here is where the curve came in. A dull pencil colored the queen quite well...quite well. So well that i had to dispose of the queen. They tend not to like it in their eyes. So i changed to a piece of stiff broome hay. Much better. And i got better at it.
I was not able to mark all the queens because it got to late to get it all done. Hopefully Monday is another good day. I have to check on the new quuens that day anyhow, make sure they got released.
I have two new queens left over. I learned tonight from a mentor to fill the battery box with bees to nurse the queen, and give a bit of honey in a corner of the box so they can be fed. Good tip to know.
lastly i was getting myself confused out in the yard...If you knew me you would figure it was easy to do. I had some queens marked, some new queens, queend i could not find, and queens that did not get marked because it was to late. I would never remember by monday which were which so...
...the new queens got the telecopic lid turned 90*
...the orange marked queens got a line of orange paint with the hay on the front of the hive...not big but enough to see the mark
...the no show queens got a large stone on the top
...the unmarked hives got a nothing
hopefull i will remember my codes:confused:
I should mention that i used the queen catcher...good tool to have
and the making tube...some what difficult, the plunger kept falling out