Default week old package, queen cells started

Hi,
    Went into the hive yesterday of a package hived last week, saw the queen looks great they seem to like her, but i found 4 queen cells 3 on the bottom of frames and one in the middle of a frame, are they planning to supercede her? what would you guys do? Help needed to answer question thanks Walt

Quote Originally Posted by wjw777 View Post
    Hi,
    Went into the hive yesterday of a package hived last week, saw the queen looks great they seem to like her, but i found 4 queen cells 3 on the bottom of frames and one in the middle of a frame, are they planning to supercede her? what would you guys do? Help needed to answer question thanks Walt

what kind of bees are they?

Default week old package, queen cells started

they are suppose to be nwc the workers are very yellow and so is the queen they are suppose to be from California. they seem like real nice bees except for the queen cells

Smile cells

this is a response to an imbalance in the ages of the bees- not enough young ones and no eggs/ larva yet. it's best to give new packages a frame of brood or they often feel there is a problem and suppercede. they are very sensitive to small thigs too- the queen may have an injured leg or not have strong pheremones. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Hmmm. I asked because the Russians I had seemed to always have queen cells around and were pretty willing to supercede the queen, even immediately after I picked up some nucs.

Given my remarkable success over the last 6 months in killing otherwise healthy colonies, if they were mine I'd trust the bees more than I would trust myself to figure out what's going on. They may very well have detected a defect in the queen that's not apparent to you.

Smile what would you guys do?

sorry i left this out. personally i would let them have thier way. building cells doesent allways mean they will finish them. but on the other hand i have hives to get brood frames from if something goes wrong. this is why most recomend you start with 2 hives. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin