Hybrid View

Default Make ethanol out of honey

With the global market and rising fuel cost.Why cant a person produce ethanol from honey?

(I have a feeling that this topic should really be in Tailgater! Or, perhaps will soon be...)

Making fuel out of food is a bad proposition for everyone.

It doesn't lower the cost of fuel, but it DOES raise the cost of food. This is evidenced by the price of corn, even in markets outside of the US.

But to answer your question directly, honey CAN be converted into fuel. It would require honey to be converted from a product that sells for, say, $35 dollars a gallon on average. Then fermented, which would make a honey mead, which would sell for about $100 a gallon, give or take. Then you'd have to USE a FUEL to distill it into a higher alcohol content product. All to make a $4 a gallon fuel to burn in your car.

Not to mention, inadvertently you've caused a shortage of honey (by one gallon, in this example), which raises the price of honey for everyone buying it. Whoops!

The economics just aren't there. At least not SMART economics.

Which is why corn ethanol is a bad idea too.

DS (By the way, the view from up here on top of the soapbox is incredible!)

[QUOTE=BigDaddyDS;318724](I have a feeling that this topic should really be in Tailgater! Or, perhaps will soon be...)

Hey Big DaddyDS,thanks for the post.Last time I checked Tailgator was for all none related bee topics,and this topic is about HONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyDS View Post
    (I have a feeling that this topic should really be in Tailgater! Or, perhaps will soon be...)
    Agreed.

For the sake of argument BD, I'll submit that making ethanol out of honey makes perfect sense. Of course, I'm speculating wildly as I haven't run the numbers.

At first glance, there's a whole lot more potential energy in a pound of honey than there is in a pound of corn so the production costs of ethanol made from honey can't be directly compared to those using corn as a source of starch.

Second, honey isn't a staple food like corn, rice, or soybeans. People don't need honey to survive.

But to answer your question directly, honey CAN be converted into fuel. It would require honey to be converted from a product that sells for, say, $35 dollars a gallon on average. Then fermented, which would make a honey mead, which would sell for about $100 a gallon, give or take. Then you'd have to USE a FUEL to distill it into a higher alcohol content product. All to make a $4 a gallon fuel to burn in your car.
    You're suggesting that a gallon of honey would make a gallon of fuel? I wonder how much 200 proof ethanol a gallon of honey really would make?

Not to mention, inadvertently you've caused a shortage of honey (by one gallon, in this example), which raises the price of honey for everyone buying it. Whoops!
    This would be bad how? The current wholesale price of honey is somewhere around $1.00 per pound. The beekeeping industry would benefit greatly from a higher price for honey.

DS (By the way, the view from up here on top of the soapbox is incredible!)
    I agree!
    Dulcius ex asperis

a group of people always bring up corn and trying to fill the bottomless gas tanks of the whole country when ever ethanol comes up. i don't care about the whole country and corn is not the only product to make alchohol from. i like the idea of using whats local and can be produced in my own back yard.
    all that is gold does not glitter

My thought was to buy all of the overseas honey for the purpose of fuel,wich would drive the price up for honey here in the states.

umm,

shouldn't this thread be in the mead making forum?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by high rate of speed View Post
    My thought was to buy all of the overseas honey for the purpose of fuel,wich would drive the price up for honey here in the states.
    I like that.

Ethanol is the biggest waste of time. Right now it takes 2 gallons of oil to make 1 gallon of ethanol. It will be a thing of the past. Wind, Solar, true natural resources is the way to go. Research T. Boone Pickens, R.F.K. Jr.. If you/we were to be carbon free, you might have some of the best honey you will ever have.

And Im no tree huger. Im the A-hole that has a truck and s suv. But slowly trying to switch to green.