Thread: swarm help

Sad swarm help

i picked up a swarm the other day,got them home and put them in a box.The next day they were in a tree by the box so I put them back in. So to day I come home for lunch and they were back in the same tree :mad: so I put them in a new box with new sheets (wax). so what am I doing wrong?? :confused:
    thanks
    Mike

You could give them a frame of brood, from another hive or close the entrance and put a hive top feeder on them. After a few days remove the cover and they will most likely stay.

That has been my experience.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

ha Thesurveyor
    I have to do the top feeder just getting in to it and dont have exter brood.
    Thanks for the input
    Mike

I've lost a couple of swarms and one package when hiving them on foundation. Now I put two frame of honey on the outside with foundation in the middle. This method has worked out pretty well so far this season. Like the previous poster stated you can also try placing a frame of brood in with the swarm. Although I've also had them abscond using a frame of brood. When they want to go they go.....

Yuleluder
    I gone to close and feed a few day and try that. I lost one a few weeks ago and man,that was a sad day. I got a cool tree hive out of that one.
    thanks
    mike

I would also encourage you to feed as soon as you bring the swarm home. Even just 1 frame of drawn comb with foundation should be enough with some syrup. But if they want to go, they'll go!! Good luck.

Ha Brandy
    yeal I have some feeders out for them.I put the swarm in a box with a top feeder last nite.I hope they deside to stay. It,s a sad day when they leave. Thanks for the input
    Mike