Default My new queen took her big flight

This afternoon, I was watching my hive that "beards over" at night, and I was amazed at how many drones were taking off. The drones are also leaving my Russian hives now, too...Anyway, one particular bee came scooting out. Much bigger than a worker, with an abdomen that was very elongated, not fat like the drones...Could this be the new princess who will be the next queen here? :confused:

My eyes aren't that good so I would have never been able to tell, but hopefully yer eyesight is great and that you have a mated queen now! Best of Luck

Probably, the queen usually has a distinctive color as well. They are kind of shiny or something.

That had to be cool to see. You must have been in that chair watching. lol. Keep me posted on those Russians and Mn's. I would like to hear how they do. I was thinking about getting geared up now for next year to get one of each breed to compair for myself. Good luck buddy!
    Last edited by Hambone; 05-15-2008 at 10:32 PM.

From what little time I had to look, she looked to have glossy black abdomen...If there any stripes at all, I missed them. She is, hopefully, safe back inside the hive tonight....She is from the large feral hive that I was blessed with last Spring, and the hive itself displays all color combinations from Italian, Carnies, and the old black bee strains. It is the most vigorous hive that I have at this time, judging from the large amount of "traffic" in the air, coming and going in and out...Looks a lot like I-20 on Christmas Eve.