Default Deep versus Medium Brood Box in PA

I live in North Western PA and am just getting into beekeeping. I currently have two hives and a nuc. I want to simplify everything, so I would like to go to all medium brood boxes, but I am worried that our winters will be too harsh. If I do go with all mediums, what is the correct overwintering setup? Two, three, maybe four boxes...? Any thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated.
    Joe

I'm not beginning to suggest that I know anything, but from what I've read here and what I was told at the Waverly NY Dadant branch while helping a friend pick out her first hive, 3 mediums equals 2 deeps and for our area that's what you want for brood chamber.

I agree, go with three mediums. Two deeps overwinter just fine in our climates and three mediums would give them an equal amount of resources. It will make life so much easier for you in many ways if you go with all mediums.
    To everything there is a season....

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Three mediums is equivalent to two deeps. That's probably enough to winter them, but not knowing your climate, I'd recommend that you get connected with some other local beekeepers and find out what they do. "Local knowledge" is one of the important benefits to being involved in a local club.
    http://www.pastatebeekeepers.org/Rep...nspectors.html

I leave the equiv of three mediums on my hives. I seem to always have lots left over. This year I lost an entire yard of NWC who refused to leave their brood (small amount) to move to honey stores....3/4's of the boxes left with honey...

I run all eight frame mediums now. I adjust it to the size of the cluster for winter. Anywhere from two to five boxes, with three or four being the norm.

When I ran ten frame mediums, I'd run from two to four with three being the norm..

They winter fine in mediums.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF