Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Windstorm! What to do?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MapMan 
#1 ·
My area had some slight wind activity last night. Nothing more than 30mph, but it was enough to get me thinking, does anybody know how much wind it would take to tear the top cover off a hive body. Say one with two red bricks on it?

Or would the whole thing be blown over first? I'm sure its obvious that the higher you stack the deeps, the less wind it would take to blow them over, but does anybody have any experience with this?

#6 ·
Lids are usually glued on pretty well with propolis. The bigger danger is the wind blowing the whole hive over.
Michael, I noticed that since I dipped my equipment in paraffin and rosin, the bees don't seem to glue it nearly like painted equipment...have you noticed that? Just curious and if anyone else has noticed it, let me know....thanks...

I put four bricks and sometimes big rocks on my hives to ensure the covers stay on....I hate taking chances...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.