Default Windstorm! What to do?

My area had some slight wind activity last night. Nothing more than 30mph, but it was enough to get me thinking, does anybody know how much wind it would take to tear the top cover off a hive body. Say one with two red bricks on it?

Or would the whole thing be blown over first? I'm sure its obvious that the higher you stack the deeps, the less wind it would take to blow them over, but does anybody have any experience with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike the Rookie View Post
    My area had some slight wind activity last night. Nothing more than 30mph, but it was enough to get me thinking, does anybody know how much wind it would take to tear the top cover off a hive body. Say one with two red bricks on it?

Or would the whole thing be blown over first? I'm sure its obvious that the higher you stack the deeps, the less wind it would take to blow them over, but does anybody have any experience with this?
    I'm not sure, as I wasn't there at the time, but my dad said the neighbor back home had a hive with 7 supers (i think mediums) on and storm came one night and blew them all over. Bet that was a mess to clean up: dirty, muddy honey supers plus a bunch of mad bees.

Lids are usually glued on pretty well with propolis. The bigger danger is the wind blowing the whole hive over.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Default Hurricanes?

What are peoples experiences with hurricanes and bee hives?

We had tornadoe winds through my area the other night, some areas got close to 60 mph winds. I use the super light polystyrene tops with 1 - 2 bricks on top, and none of them were touched.

-Nathanael
    Beaches' Bee-Haven Apiary http://beachesbeehaven.com
    Aiken Beekeepers Association http://aikenbeekeepers.org

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Lids are usually glued on pretty well with propolis. The bigger danger is the wind blowing the whole hive over.
    Michael, I noticed that since I dipped my equipment in paraffin and rosin, the bees don't seem to glue it nearly like painted equipment...have you noticed that? Just curious and if anyone else has noticed it, let me know....thanks...

I put four bricks and sometimes big rocks on my hives to ensure the covers stay on....I hate taking chances...

Mine are stuck on pretty well. The boxes might be less stuck together but the lids are sure stuck.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Lids tend to stay on for me, but I've had a gullywasher which caused one of the hive stands to lean, and when the winds arrived the hive toppled. Three deeps and two medium honey supers. Not fun. I keep them lower to the ground now.

MM