Default Wire and natural foundation?

Has anyone tried using foundation less frames, and letting the bees fill the frames up, then wiring their natural foundation onto the frame for added support. Kind of like using pure wax frames. And have you had any luck with it making the comb stable enough to extract honey from? (like other regular frames)

I hope this doesn't sound too confusing.

What? Let the bees build natural comb in the frame, then add a sheet of foundation and wires?

I have used some foundationless frames with horizontal wires - the bees have incorporated the wires into their combs. I don't know if these combs will be as durable as combs built from pre-wired foundation, though it seems they should be at least that durable, if not more.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 05-12-2008 at 04:11 PM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I extract without any wires. It works fine once the comb has aged and hardened a bit.

Ross, what I find interesting is that you are in a hot area vs me in the north and you have no problem with comb that is not wired. I presume you extract with a radial...

Doesn't the heat bother your comb....guess not from the sounds of it...

JDB,
    Wouldn't it be easier to place WIRED frames without foundation into the hives, and then letting the bees draw comb AROUND the wires? From what it sounds like, you want to somehow thread the wires through the drawn comb that was started without foundation. Do I have that correct?

DS

When I ran out of brood frames I replaced one with a shallow frame with foundation and they built their own comb on the bottom of it. Comb is solid and well used. I just put medium frames in a nuc for brood and think they will do the same. May disrupt the brood pattern but right now have no deep foundation left nor deep frames that I feel comfortable using until I get an answer on what killed the hive they came out of, even though I've cleaned them. But this is different from what you're doing.

Sounds like Ross has done this and it worked ok. Anyone ever tried foundationless frames for brood?
    Last edited by gingerbee; 05-13-2008 at 08:57 PM.
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

I'm all mediums. I wouldn't try it with deeps. If the comb is attached on 3 sides, and it has been in the hive for a few weeks after being drawn, it will extract if you start slow and build up the speed (radial). Michael Bush does this too. New soft comb takes a while to harden up.

I use foundationless for everything and have for 5 years now. I cut a bevel on the top bars of my frames before assembly as a guide. I have posted pics before. Holler if you don't find them.

Wires would make it more rugged of course, but defeats my purpose which is building a box of 10 frames in a couple of minutes.

>Anyone ever tried foundationless frames for brood?

All the time for brood and honey.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I use foundationless deeps for brood and medium/shallow wired foundation for honey. A natural comb deep filled with honey is heavy, I don't try extracting them. Even turning them to the side is likely to break them if they aren't fastened to the frame on at least three sides. Maybe a radial extractor would work but I wouldn't try a tangental.