Default Texas Bee Removal Rules

Rules have recently changed. Texas now sees an opportunity to charge yet another fee for no good reason.
    http://tais.tamu.edu/forms/pdf/beere...pplication.pdf
    http://tais.tamu.edu/newsletter/pdf/bee_aware_jul07.pdf
    Personally, I would ignor the reference to Bee-Vacs. I don't believe that is the electrical device this refers to. Since Bee Vacs are now sold by most of the bee supply houses, you can make a case that they are "normal beekeeping equipment".

I went ahead and paid for an additional license for moving bees across county lines because I am on the border of Williamson and Travis counties. As I understand it, if I remove a hive or swarm in Williamson county and take it back to my property in Travis County, I am engaging in "intrastate bee traffic."

http://tais.tamu.edu/forms/pdf/intra_rev.pdf

Apparently there is a lot of politics around this issue due to the turf war between pest control people (and those beekeepers who pay $700 for pest control licenses) and beeks licensed for $35 through Texas Apiary Inspection Service. Some of the former will turn you in if you step outside the lines so everyone should be aware of the laws and abide by them.
    Last edited by Aisha; 04-11-2008 at 10:13 PM.
    ~May your hive thrive
    Aisha

Quote Originally Posted by Aisha View Post
    I went ahead and paid for an additional license for moving bees across county lines because I am on the border of Williamson and Travis counties. As I understand it, if I remove a hive or swarm in Williamson county and take it back to my property in Travis County, I am engaging in "intrastate bee traffic."

http://tais.tamu.edu/forms/pdf/intra_rev.pdf

Apparently there is a lot of politics around this issue due to the turf war between pest control people (and those beekeepers who pay $700 for pest control licenses) and beeks licensed for $35 through Texas Apiary Inspection Service. Some of the former will turn you in if you step outside the lines so everyone should be aware of the laws and abide by them.
    The removal permit clearly states: "Permit to ship honeybees and/or used apiary equipment to and from the following counties in Texas for bee removal only". From that I don't see how the additional intra-state permit would be needed unless you subsequently transfer the bees across county lines.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

.....................removed

Sorry I'm so late replying to this; haven't been following the forums much lately. A few months ago Paul Jackson (the head honcho himself) spoke to our bee club. He is very adament that bee vacs ARE NOT ALLOWED for removals from occupied structures (which is where the law changed). Swarms/removals from trees, abandoned structures, etc. are not covered by the law.

Lew Best near Waco, TX

Now, I am really confused. One writes that he has heard that as long as you do not charge, it is legal, but that is countered with a post stating that it illegal....Now, I take it that taking swarms, removals from trees, and etc. is not covered under the new laws.:confused:
    Somebody set me straight, as I called the Van Zandt County Extension Service last Monday to say I would be available starting this coming Monday for simple removals....They were very glad to get my number, as they are having sometimes several calls a week.
    Maybe I am a dunce, a dullard, or a run-of-the-mill buffoon, but I am now thoroughly confused.
    Thanks,
    Rick~ LtlWilli

ok; if the swarm, etc. is in a tree, abandoned structure, etc. you don't need a permit & can charge. If it's an "occupied structure" you have to have the permit from Paul's office & are now allowed to charge. Before you were not allowed to charge unless you had the high bux permit from structural pest control. If you're in doubt about anything I'd suggest calling Paul's office in College Station; 979-845-9714

Lew

Thank you so very much, Lew. I can see the scenario much clearer now..I appreciate your response greatly, and can now go ahead with my endeavors.
    You have a really good day, sir.
    Rick~LtlWilli

Get a rechargeable vac I guess, or ignor it like I do. It's a safety factor with hot bees.

Ok, then...I'll be working the Canton/ Van Zandt area, following the rules set down by the law. I will not remove them from you home, but, the outbuildings, trees, shrubs, or wherever, I will handle. Call me between 9AM and 9PM at 903-363-3304, and I can give you a price quote dependent of how far I must travel, and where the swarm is located. An easy grab of the swarm, located within 10 miles of Canton , would run $25 normally, but could be less in certain situations, like for folks on a fixed income and such...If the price of gas goes down, so will my rate.

This is a forum for listing your service, not for discussion. Please take the discussion to another forum.
    Regards, Barry

PM apology sent...please accept it , and delete this thread if you'd like. We were indeed in the wrong.

That's fine, I just don't want it to continue here. When I get time, I'll attempt to move the posts. If it doesn't work, then I'll resort to deleting them.
    Regards, Barry