Hybrid View

Default making hive bodies and supers

I thought about making box joints for hive bodies and supers but this seems to be alot of trouble. I have never had any problems with mortiseing the ends,
    so i will just stay with what works. Never had one to come apart.
    Do you guys use box joints or mortise. Ted n Ms:confused:
    Last edited by Ted n Ms; 05-28-2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling

I use dovetail joints on all of mine and have never had any problems with them. The catalogs say they use dovetail joints but they are really box joints.
    Mind if I ask you to post a picture of your hive bodies with a mortised joint in them, very interesting way of doing it. Can picture it in my mind but would like to see it please.
    Sideline beekeeper /State Certified Inspector
    Bee Friends CO-OP

Default deantn

I dont have a ditital cam for pic. but just make a 3/4" x 3/8" rabbet on the
    sides of your end board and a 5/8'' x3/8 rabbet for a frame rest. I then make
    the side boards 19 1/8 long. I hope i didn't confuse you. Sorry no pic.

I just do rabbet joints too (or whatever they are called...).

I have a few warping a little bit, but the bees haven't complained about it yet.

I'm sure that the box or dovetail joints are a little better, and if I had the equipment and know-how that is what I'd probably elect to do, but I don't so am satisfied with what I have now.

Rick

I use rabbet joints - less work - less end grain exposier but I rabbet the end boards - rabbet and frame rest on the same board.

What ever works best for U !
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

No confusion here got what you are saying.
    Everyone to their own devices when building equipment. As long as the bees are happy with it. Doesn't matter how they are built.
    Sideline beekeeper /State Certified Inspector
    Bee Friends CO-OP

Default Re: making hive bodies and supers

I'm wondering if using a biscuit joint would work for boxes? So far I'm using store bought equipment as a model to build from. I am assuming the people that make and sell these, given the fact they all look alike, have already done the research and there is no since in reinventing the wheel. Of course I try and use the material I have on hand so a few of my covers are 3/4" rather than the thinner stuff one can buy already built. As long as I don't violate the bee space I'm good to go.

I'm going to build a few boxes and see if I can use the waste materials for covers and such thereby avoiding the need to buy seperate 1x material. That should offset the cost of building the boxes a little.

I never thought beekeeping would lead to the joy of woodworking! Never knew I had friends already that love woodworking as a hobby. Now they are telling me to come over and use their equipment, showing me how to build things and places to get lumber. Just like in beekeeping, my friends who are woodworkers have already done the homework for me. Now they are listening to stories about beekeeping from me.

I'm in the process of triming the 10 and 12' boards down to the proper width so I can use the waste for tops and such. Then I'm going to cut the boards to length and when I have a stack ready, I will be heading over to a friends woodworking shop where he is going to set me up with making the box joints. He also wants to try a test using biscuit joints. The other day he showed me two 2x6s he joined with biscuit joints and glue. He jumped on the board, breaking it at the joint. The biscuit did not give and neither did the glue. The actual 2x6 split at the joint. Man, that was an assume test of the way glue works. I'm concerned anytime I move away from building things 100% like you buy them because all the engineering is done. My friend the woodworker thinks the boxes will remain square without a finger joint by using biscuit joints.

Lucky break for me having friends that do woodworking. Now I have a one stop location for help. I just take a part over to them that I bought and they get all excited about how to make it with the least material and best method. It's like having two brains for me!
    Last edited by MDS; 01-11-2011 at 06:57 AM.