Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pearl City, Hawaii
    Posts
    13

    Default Normal reaction to sting

    So, I am wondering what a normal reaction is to a bee sting. When I get stung the area swells and gets pretty hard for a week or so. I recently got stung on my the underside of my chin and it looks like I have a double chin. My ear also got stung and it has swelled up and is a lot bigger than the other ear.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Helmetta, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    99

    Default

    I've found that my reaction varies by the sting location. A finger sting is usually very localized, and results in that finger swelling a bit, like if you jam the knuckle. If I get stung on soft skin, such as my inner arm or the backs of my knees, I develop a very large swollen and red area that itches like the dickens!

    Presumably, the more stings we get, the sooner we'll become more acclimated to the venom. I'm not really interested in doing it on purpose, though...I'm happy keeping the bees calm enough not to sting me.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Silverado, CA
    Posts
    16

    Default sting

    Seems like a normal reaction. I did some reading on this. I get stung around the wrist, and my hand wrist area swells a bit for a few days. That is the normal reaction.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arundel, Maine USA
    Posts
    1,207

    Default

    if you're concerned, keep liquid benadryl around. Of course check with your doctor first. But that should help.
    Let's BEE friends

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Grifton, NC
    Posts
    1,302

    Default

    It depends on your system. If I get stung on the hand or arm, it gets red but goes away after a few hours or sometimes a day at most. I got stung on the back of the neck last August and I still have some sort of infection that keeps on festering up all around the sting site. The doctor put me on antibiotics last year and it didn't help.

    It's odd that I know several beekepers who have reported an increasing sensitivity to stings as they get older. They report that when they were young they didn't have any problems and now they have worse reations. One even is talking about quitting beekeeping because of it.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lancaster CA
    Posts
    410

    Default

    When stung on my hand, my whole arm would swell. I put a sting on my rump every other day until swelling quite. Beeks need to get 25 stings per yr minimum

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Medford, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    54

    Wink

    some people get more sensitive, my wife has developed into a full blown allergy, i on the other hand and almost immune the worst i get is a small red bump for 5 minutes or so, sometimes i will discover the stinger in my arm and pull it out not knowing when i got stung. unless its the armpit, i don't have a reaction except i cry and scream like a baby. I take over 25 stings a week though.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    5,298

    Default

    It has been so long I don't remember any reaction other than what I get these days:

    When I get stung on really sensitive areas like nose, arm pits, etc. It smarts pretty awful for about 15 seconds. If I get stung most anywhere else, it hurts a little the moment the stinger penetrates my skin, then I scrape it out. That's all - no other reactions. I wear long-sleeved white T-shirts, very loose shorts, and a veil pulled over a pith hat that I let hang loose about my neck and shoulders. Every once in awhile one gets up my shorts, but not too often.

    In Junior High I was medicated often with Penicillin, which helped to cure my infections. Years later a single dose of Penicillin almost killed me with an anaphylactic shock response.

    Still, I keep an epipen and benadryl just in case.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hays, Kansas, USA
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    My medical advisor said to take a Zantac before working bees in case of sting. Yes, it's for upset tummies, but has incredible anti-histamine properties without drowsyness. Swelling is now minimal, itch and the other symptoms are still there. It's my ounce of prevention now. There are generics that cost a little less.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Milford, CT
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swobee View Post
    My medical advisor said to take a Zantac before working bees in case of sting. Yes, it's for upset tummies, but has incredible anti-histamine properties without drowsyness. Swelling is now minimal, itch and the other symptoms are still there. It's my ounce of prevention now. There are generics that cost a little less.
    that's interesting.. I'll be sure and look into that. Thx!

    I think as long as the swelling doesnt get into your system (if it 'travels') you should be okay. if it DOES, then you've got problem.

    that's pretty rare, there's more of a chance you'll have an anaphylactic reaction to food or meds than you will to an insect bite.
    to bee or not to bee ~ that is the question

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    lansing, MI
    Posts
    28

    Default everyones different

    My bee stings dont swell so much , but they hurt quite a bit, get red around the site and for 3-4 days after have a slight bruise mark with a red center. They only hurt for an hour or so though. ^^

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Northern VA USA
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiBee View Post
    I recently got stung on my the underside of my chin and it looks like I have a double chin. My ear also got stung and it has swelled up and is a lot bigger than the other ear.
    This doesn't answer your question directly, but are you wearing a veil? If not, you might start there. Of course this doesn't minimize stings on other parts of the body.

    Based on the info you provided, it sounds to me like your reactions are just that...normal sting reactions (as opposed to allergic reactions).

    Matt

  13. #13

    Default Epipen

    If hives (red splotchy or rash-like areas) develop on arms, legs or tummy area then your reaction is systemic. How bad depends on your system. If you have trouble breathing, tightening in the chest and feel sweaty or have an upset stomach you may be going into antiphalactic (sorry about the spelling of that) shock. If you have more than localized swelling (get stung on the hand and it swells up the arm) it might be a good idea to get your doctor to prescribe an Epipen ( an easy to use auto-injector of antihistimine) just in case. It saves lives.

    Also, an antihistimine taken before working with your bees is a good idea. Keeps the reaction down.
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads