Thread: 9 frame super

Smile 9 frame super

i have aquired a kelly extractor(WOO HOO!) after lo these many years and would appreciate some advice on when to go from a 10 frame supper to a 9 to make uncapping easier. these are new foundation frames being drawn out. i have read to do this when the frames are drawn but not capped. my bees usually start storing nectar in the first frames drawn before they are all drawn, evan if you rotate the undrawn to the center. will it hurt to go to 9 frames if they are storing nectar? with all the extra honey i plan to get, i hope to make some mead- so some of you may not want to help
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

So far I haven't had any problems with spacing 9 frames of foundation in the 10 frame super; Italian bees. It may depend on the intensity of the nectar flow in some parts of the country. Now that I have some frames already drawn I may alternate them with foundation though.

I dont go to 9 frames until I have ran the comb thru the extracted for the 1st time. then make the change

I have previoulsy installed 10 frames and left them alone until the bees have drawn the foundation out even with the end bar edges, then removed the 10th frame, repositioning the 9 remaining ones with a spacing tool. Every nine hives will give you another hive's worth to manipulate.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF