Default Jackets with veils

Am looking to buy a jacket and am new enough to not know relative merits of cotton/cotton poly/nylon as fabric and the advantages/disadvantages of the 'clear vue' hat veil combination over the domed hood. Dadant makes both although their all cotton w/clear vue is twice the cost of cottonpoly with domed hood. Brushy Mt. has clear vue too - So, what's the recommendation from the pros??

I love the Brushy hat with sewn on veil like the have on their full suit. I think that's the same on on their jacket. It provides a sweat band (hat band) and keeps the veil off your neck and face. I don't care for cotton or any other solid fabric after trying a mesh suit. I would spend the money on one from Magnet Man or Glory Bee. You'll love it. I've been living in my Magnet Man suit this spring. I may order a jacket too. Cotton does have an advantage over poly when it comes to a hot smoker....

I have the full "english" style suit. with what I think you are referring to as the domed veil. I would go with the suit that has the built in hat. The "cone head" veil on my suit is annoying. It shifts around and sticks to my face sometimes. I have to wear a hat under it anyway. As far as material, get something that breathes!
    Let's BEE friends

I have this one from Dadant, the cotton/poly jacket with the hood. It's ok, not great. It's a little hot because of the poly, and the elastic at the wrists and waist is not tight--so if I really cared about being stung, I'd need to do something about that. I find it handier to toss on a jacket than tying down a veil.
    My beekeeping blog: The Bee Yard

Lesli,
    That's the one I have. I go through at least one a season. And at that price, I buy a couple at a time. I can not really say the poly is any hotter, but it feels better being lighter and slides on. I have been using the cotton one this past month and the elastic seems tighter on the wrist and waist compared to the poly.

Smile

the elastic at the wrists and waist is not tight--so if I really cared about being stung
    That is why I don’t sew one end of the elastic on the UltraBreeze suits. What is good and tight on my wrist might be loose on someone else. I feel it is better to let the owner spend 5 minutes adjusting and sewing the last part of the elastic. With that said I am trying to find a buckle or something that would make the elastic band adjustable.

Good news I will be making jackets! starting this weekend. I expect to have some small, medium, large and extra large jackets ready to ship the last week of May.

The price currently is $125 plus actual shipping. I decided to break shipping out because shipping cost can vary so much. I sent a suit via UPS to Hawaii and it was forty three dollars. The price might sound high but remember there are three layers of fabric and it is not made in China.

I will post and updated sizing chart on my web site in a few days.

As for Poly vs cotton. Cotton is way cooler because it breaths better. I only wear 100% cotton shirts, slacks and 90% cotton socks in the summer for this reason. Poly will last a lot longer than cotton though. My jackets will be a lot cooler than cotton and will last just as long as a poly jacket because it is made of poly netting.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Default ventilated jacket

I have been in the market for a ventilated suit for 2 seasons now. I have a HoneyMaker suit now which is okay but very hot and when you lean over you stand a good chance of a sting on the chin.

I have gone through the archives reading various posts on ventilated suits. I tried sending multiple emails to the ultra breeze person over the past 18 months and corresponded to someone on ebay selling a suit that is '25 times more air flow than Tyvek'. Since none of my ultra breeze emails were ever answered and 25 times Tyveck is still zero (0*25=0) I am still in the market.

If ultra breeze has their business model up and running then Magnet Man I am still interested just tell me where to send the money, I have no ill feelings, would appreciate a suit that looks like a good solution and completely understand it is hard to get a business off the ground. If anyone has tried the disposable suits off ebay I would appreciate the feedback. Lately I have been considering building my own out of that rug non-skid, mosquito net and a can of 3M upholstery adhesive - only question is do I spray the adhesive on the netting, the rug part or all over me?

Or maybe I could buy a fork lift and move my hives into an airconditioned honey house when I want to work them, seems like a lot of trouble convincing the wife about needing a fork lift.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Magnet Man had a year of family health problems to deal with. He posted here and let us know he would be down for awhile. He is up and running now and I received my suit a month ago. I would give him a try now, before hot weather backs up his orders.

wfarler, sorry you fell through the cracks, I thought I had gotten back to everyone. Since I turned 50, I have noticed a lot more cognitive slippage. Regardless that doesn’t make it any less frustrating when I don’t respond to e-mails. Send me an email with your size to goldenbreeze@cox.net and I promise I will get back to you this time.
    Last edited by magnet-man; 05-14-2008 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magnet-man View Post
    ...With that said I am trying to find a buckle or something that would make the elastic band adjustable.
    Have you considered velcro? Like wrist closures on some jackets and gloves. Just a thought, but it may get gunked up too easily, or the hook part may snag on and damage your material (like it does to lycra), I don't know.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Have you considered velcro?
    Some very early suits did use Velcro. I saw a jacket the other day that used both elastic and Velcro and seems like a good solution.

I have an old bee suit that has velcro on the sleeves- works great!