Default Little problem and question

My newly hived bees have started building comb on the underside of the inner cover.

Should I remove it?

How is that they have room to build comb? Did you leave an empty box on the hive (no frames) or leave out a frame?

Default Little problem

I had put a 1" shim on top of the hive body to place some pollen patties.....

Mine did the same thing. Tear it down, and give them an empty frame with some bee/foundation wax rubbed on the underside of the top bar. They seem inclined to build comb, let them build their own natural comb. Make sure you are feeding them if there is not a source of nectar. They'll need it to build the comb.
    Let's BEE friends

If you violate the bee space and there is a good nectar flow they will build burr comb to fill the space. My inner covers have about a 3/8 space which will accommodate a pollen patty. And will eliminate for the most part burr comb. I would rather let them use the resources building comb on my foundation.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Could also mean they need a super.