Lightbulb Poor Man Bee Fund

Well poor man stated he did not have the money to buy new bees, I also have a feeling the feller he got them from wont give his money back since Im sure he knew the bees were mean....
    Soooo, I will open this thread as a fund raiser with a $5.00 donation towards new bees. I think if several on this forum donated 5 bucks then our poor man beek friend just might be able to start again with a new package or even a Nuc.
    What do you say group????Heck if I lived closer I would give him one of my calm Carnie hives, but this is the best I can do..
    $5.00 here from T.G.

T.G.
    When I grow up, I want to be like John K.......

sounds like to me poor man first need to get himself a new bee suit, veil (zip on) and smoker. after that he need to test for that nasty hives origin and then likely find someone that could requeen the unit. at this point in the season I would suspect a package will be difficult to locate, but he should have a number of option locally to find an acceptable queen breeder who could handly and inexpensively provide a new queen. he may need assistance in getting the requeening job done... at least that is how it casually sounds to me.

these are exactly the kind of situation that have the possiblility of gererating a lot of bad feeling (and way beyond poorman's front door) and bad publicity in regards to the bees.

as to the $5... count me in. when you get it together just tell me where to send the bucks via pm.. I don't do pay pal.

Default NO

Quote Originally Posted by tileguy View Post
    Well poor man stated he did not have the money to buy new bees, I also have a feeling the feller he got them from wont give his money back since Im sure he knew the bees were mean....
    Soooo, I will open this thread as a fund raiser with a $5.00 donation towards new bees. I think if several on this forum donated 5 bucks then our poor man beek friend just might be able to start again with a new package or even a Nuc.
    What do you say group????Heck if I lived closer I would give him one of my calm Carnie hives, but this is the best I can do..
    $5.00 here from T.G.

T.G.

THANK YOU BUT NO THANKS...........
    ive been working on getting bees for 2 years now, first i started building boxes and the asembling 10 frames at a time and so on..... il get some money scraped togeather and buy some more bees, i just dont have a lot of money to throw around we are a 1 income house and bills come first, thanks again
    Donít be to optimistic the light at the end of the tunnel may be a TRAIN !!!

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    sounds like to me poor man first need to get himself a new bee suit, veil (zip on) and smoker. after that he need to test for that nasty hives origin and then likely find someone that could requeen the unit. at this point in the season I would suspect a package will be difficult to locate, but he should have a number of option locally to find an acceptable queen breeder who could handly and inexpensively provide a new queen. he may need assistance in getting the requeening job done... at least that is how it casually sounds to me.

these are exactly the kind of situation that have the possiblility of gererating a lot of bad feeling (and way beyond poorman's front door) and bad publicity in regards to the bees.

as to the $5... count me in. when you get it together just tell me where to send the bucks via pm.. I don't do pay pal.

i just ordered a new jacket with zip up vail, and bought a new smoker... thats why there isnt any money in the bee fund right now.... as i said to Tileguy thanks but no thanks on the charaty(sp)

You could do as I did when I started, become a swarm catcher... It allowed me to get my 1st hive going... Post here and on other swarm sites... Also, see the site in my signature below....
    Find A Beekeeper - Swarm List
    "There's nothing wrong with me, it's the rest of the world that has a problem"

Poor man,
    I dont look at as charity. I look at it as an investment.
    As for me I dont have the room for more bees. And I'm sure there are those who would like bees but cant.
    So as for chatity its not, because noone really owns the bees we just their keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by okb View Post
    Poor man,
    I dont look at as charity. I look at it as an investment.
    As for me I dont have the room for more bees. And I'm sure there are those who would like bees but cant.
    So as for chatity its not, because noone really owns the bees we just their keepers.
    thanks, but when i get more il get them on my own if i cant afford somthing i just dont get it... i have credit cards and can buy a whole truck of bees but then im stuck with a yard full of bees and a BIG cc bill

thanks

Poor man ,
    I agree never finance a package of bees. However, If the beekeepers assoc. in your area has someone with a swarm to get rid of you would be helping them by collecting them.

I'd hate to have to say after 4 more payments those babies will be all mine!

By the way whos ever financed a pizza??

Quote Originally Posted by okb View Post
    By the way whos ever financed a pizza??

about 25 years ago i would have put my truck in hock to get pizza

Oh come one poor man, let us pitch in. I'll donate $5.00 toward the cause. As a hobby beekeeper, I'd like to see as many responsible backyard beekeepers as possible. Besides, it's not your fault you got bunk bees! If a few people pitch in $5, it's not charity it's a "grant" toward investing in your future as a beekeeper. And who knows, maybe someday you'll be the best queen breeder, or create a great line of bee stock and the world will be all the better for it! whatdya say?
    Let's BEE friends

I'm a little surprised that nobody has suggested this...

http://www.tnbeekeepers.org/locals.htm

That's a link to numerous beekeeping clubs in the area. The two I'd point you toward are the Cumberland County and Knox County Beekeepers.

Local beekeeping clubs are a HUGE source of knowledge and support! A lot of times, members will have equipment that they have to sell. You're helping them out by buying their surplus items, and you're benefiting by getting those items at a discount. (Like beesuits that have (ahem!) "shrunk" for some unknown reason... but could fit you.) And, I'd also be surprised if there isn't a budding queen rearer in the group who'd like to give you a queen cell in trade for you giving feedback as to it's hygenics and production.

I would caution, however, to make a phone call to the contact people before driving out to internet posted meeting locations. Many times, location spots or meeting dates change without updating the postings on the web. Considering gas prices, phone calls are VERY cheap. Phone first.

Good luck to you!
    DS

Poorman Dont look at it has a hand out or charity. Look at it has a hand up. Friends helping Friends is not charity. We are your friends and we want to see you succeed.

Thats exactly my point.... its beeks helping beeks, heck this is my first year and there is a couple that has helped me big time, by giving me some used hive parts, and giving me great deals on other supplies... "thanks you two", but starting out with the bees you got just makes tileguy want to help you.....
    On another not, NICE job on your TBH poor man......

T.G.

I have been watching this story unfold the last couple of weeks now. And I must say that some of the visuals in the stories make me chuckle. But I feel really bad for him. Since I am a newbie I could not give him my .02 on what to do. But I do have an idea.

Here we go.

I think this is a situation where a guy will take advise, but not a hand out. I'm the same way. I will pay for either a new package of bees or a nuc. What I would like is for someone here thats close to him to either deliver a nuc or have him pic one up. Or. I know its kinda late. But recommend to me someone that has a package that can be shiped to him. Also, I would like someone to explain to him how to get rid of the bees he has and get ready for the new ones that are coming. (Because I can't) I can either next day air a check or pay c/c. Does not matter.

Im not trying to show everyone up by paying in full right now. But, I think we are in a time situation here. And the 2 to 3 weeks it takes to raise the money for this, maybe to late to do anything this year.

I would like the $5 donations, but not payed back to me. I think its really cool this post was started for poorman. And think everyone that reads the post and wants to donate $5 should. But where? Should we start some kind of beekeeper fund?

I am not here for charity. This is a story I have been watching and decided to do something. So. Do not PM me and say you cannot get this or that. Or whatever. I will not respond. Serious post or PM's only.

If I am totally out of line here. Please have the Moderators delete this and let me know why.

THANKS Derik1, The only packages I know of are on Ebay for 85 bucks, someone here must have something cheaper,

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-LB-Package-Mn-...QQcmdZViewItem

Poor Man........ what do you think buddy? This is NOT a hand out, its a Hand........

Derik1... if you want to handle the details with poor man and maybe be the treasurer, we can get this rolling...

Killing the bees?????? Soap and Water???

T.G.

Swarms! Watch for swarms! Profoundly economical if not 40 feet up a tree.
    ďThe keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.Ē -Henry David Thoreau