Thread: Queen Problems

Default Queen Problems

I'll give some history first:

Hived package 4/8/08
    Checked for eggs about 7-10 days later. Thought queen was laying... determined she wasn't about 3 days later. Couldn't find the queen either.
    Took brood from another hive and put in queenless hive.
    Queen cells spotted about 5 days later.
    Checked hive 5/7/08 7 empty queen cells, could not find a queen, no eggs either.

Can I still hope that there is a queen in this hive and that she hasn't mated yet to start laying?

We lost 2 queens this spring and have the same situation in the second hive too. The second hive only had 5 queen cells though.

There are 3 hives total in this one location... plenty of drones.

How does weather affect the mating flights? Weather here has been cold, nice, rainy, snowy, sunny... for the last 10 days. If the bees are flying, I am assuming that a queen could fly too. There have been plenty of days that the bees have been flying.

Anyway, I thought we were going to be OK with raising our own queens. We have already spent too much on bees and equipment this year... didn't want to go into buying pricey queens. Found a few places that were reasonable but they weren't able to ship until the middle of May.

Advice?

Default Things to look out for

Quote>How does weather affect the mating flights?<Quote

PolkaDotBees,
    Weather is the big problem with raising matted Queens...
    Even when you have done all the right things, the weather can finish it up for you in a bad way....
    Cold, overcast days are bad for the matting of Queens... Rain continously, not showers, is also bad...
    The new Queens like to take to the air in the late morning hour with lots of sun and the temp in the 60's.... The window is 11:00AM to 2:00PM....

Quote>Thought queen was laying... determined she wasn't<Quote

What you may have here is, the Queen was balled for some problem they found with her... She may have been injured in shipment and that may have caused this to happen...

Sometimes the young Queen will be on the under side of the frame you are looking at... Down between the comb and the bottom bar and you miss her... Always look several times for this reason....
    Lee...

Lee

So what would your advice be? I didn't realize I was in for trouble with raising our own queens. My plan is to check in a few days to see if the queen is laying.

Thanks for your advice!
    Polka Dot

Quote Originally Posted by PolkaDotBees View Post
    Took brood from another hive and put in queenless hive.
    Queen cells spotted about 5 days later.
    Checked hive 5/7/08 7 empty queen cells, could not find a queen, no eggs either.?
    If you added brood and they started making queen cells with it you almost certainly were queenless.

Can I still hope that there is a queen in this hive and that she hasn't mated yet to start laying?
    Yep

Advice?
    Give them a little more time. They're pretty good about making a replacement. After those queens emerged, add a few days to a week for the successful queen to mature. Add a week for her to mate. Add a week to see brood. It takes time.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Thanks! I will work on my patience.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF