Question Chilled Brood - Weak Hive - a plan ??

Hi everyone,

I just checked one of my hives this afternoon. It's basically a 10-deep box with only about 2 frames of bees working the tops of 3 frames. Some of the brood was dead -- mostly on the outer edges, gray and not hard. Seems similar to what I read are the descriptions for sac brood except the larvae are NOT "easily removed intact" which according to Penn State's "Honey Bee - Parasites, Pests, Predators, and Diseases" is a condition of Sacbrood. So I'm thinking it's chilled brood -- which fits with the few adult bees.

The Queen is / has been laying and she's a last summer's queen. I think she's fine.

Since I eventually want to get the hive changed over to a 8-Medium, small cell foundation configuration, I'm considering shaking the bees into an 8-Medium box this week end and letting them start over. I could easily wire in some pollen & honey (or put in a couple of suitable shallow frames) to help in addition to a feed pail. It would speed up the change over and give them a smaller box.

What thinks you??
    Thanks for your inputs.
    Scott
    "If you're doing all the dos, you ain't got time to do the don'ts"

Since you are planning on switching over to a medium box and frame configuration, I would do it now while the hive is still small and weak. I would remove whatever brood is still viable and healthy and wire it into a medium frame for the new hive. You can always rotate these frames to the outside and remove them at a later date.
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!

Thx - for reply

Carbide,
    Thx for the reply / validation of my plan. There is some viable brood -- so I'll move that. I appreciate your post.
    Scott

Why not just put the frames that the bees are working into a three frame or five frame NUC? I would leave the frames and comb alone and not try to fit it into a smaller frame and risk the chance of hurting brood. That's what I would do.

Default Thanks for replies . . .

I see good point about both replies. Since the amount of brood is very little, I'm thinking I can wire it in a smaller frame and avoid damage. Hopefully that's not overly optimistic.

I did make a couple of follower boards to make a smaller space. I'll still be able to feed easily with a pail feeder. Last year I tried a 2-sided homemade frame feeder with wire ladders -- on one side I had bunch of drownings so I hesitate to go to a deep NUC where the only feeder I have is the frame style.

Hopefully, they'll build up . . .