Thread: Apairy Tours

Default Apairy Tours

What would be good activities to do on an Apairy tour. What could you do in conjunction to observation hives?

Buy liability insurance

Extract honey

Buy liability ins.

Have extra beesuits available

Buy liability ins.

Have queenright nuc where you can find queen easily.

Buy liability ins.

Show photos of pollen laden bees on flowers

OH. Did I mention insurance???

I have a friend who opened a petting zoo. He was sued for a rabbit bite. Then he was sued for a goat stepping on a kid's toe.

Have an empty hive which can be used to demonstrate the parts of the hive.

Goodie bag containing honey stix, an info card/flyer with facts about bees & honey, some favorite honey recipies, contact info so they can buy from you in the future, etc.

A 'honey tasting' of different varietals.

Candle making activity, or something to demonstrate uses of beeswax.

...if you are going to open a hive without suits, use a nuc, and move it a few hundred feet before opening....you will loose a lot of the older bees this way. after the demo, return the nuc to it's spot.

deknow

I would agree that the first and foremost area of concern is liability.
    North Carolina has a positive Agri-tourism law which places all liability on the person or persons participating in the agri activity. While this law is in place, it has never been tested in a court of law and no one knows if it will be upheld.
    Please check with your State for laws and protection concerning Agri-tourism and always be prepared for the unexpected.

Kurt

We don't do field day or any tours actually, but I do a number of presentations to various groups throughout any given year. Last Thursday found me in a bank meeting room speaking before a group of 50 or so 'Senior Partners Coffeetime'. The bank offers guest speakers every other month on various topics for some senior account holders. I've been in front of our local Optimist, Rotary, Soroptimist, high school ag classes, home school association group, ag safety days at various schools, etc.

I have a Power Point with a number of slides- data, photos, etc. I bring along a nuc with a frame variety- Pierco, std. wooden, comb, etc. and discuss some.

I'm concerned with visitors at any apiary site, so I take it to them instead.

I have been asked to provide tours of the apiary for children. I have to this point refused based on liability concerns. Frankly its a shame but I can't afford to be sued. I have liability insurance... but I'd rather not need it.
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

I am frequently asked " Do you give tours?"
    Of course I reply that I am currently not set up to give tours. What I really mean is that I can't afford to take the several hours of my day to show them the bees.
    You can't play with the bees like you can a goat and the preperation time is exhausting to provide a quality "hands on" tour.
    Bringing the bees to the public is a much better idea.

Kurt