Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down dont know how much more i can take

these bees are killing me, i got my old suit all duct taped up so they cant get in, and ive now split them into 2 hives and they are still hot as all get out.. smoke doesnt phase them, you cant spray enough sugar water or fast enough to keep them down, they hit the veil like rocks outa a mower, they cover the veil so bad you cant see, .... the other day we were sitting on the porch talking and 1 bee flew through and mad a u turn and come back and stung me now the hive is about 2-3 hundred feet from the house and they still will try to get ya while walking in the yard, i dont know what to do, i cant wait 2-3 months for a new queen to "calm" down the hive, my choises are getting slimmer buy the day my wife is starting to hate bees already and i have a friend who is alergic to bee stings and with these as hot as theyare she cant even come over, i could move hive and all out in the woods farther away from the house but they would get verry little sun and proly would have more animale bugging them, im lost....thanks for all the help.......
    Donít be to optimistic the light at the end of the tunnel may be a TRAIN !!!

Have you tried killing the queen? I have had hot hives that calmed down almost immediately after I pinched her, like 5 minutes. I don't know why, but I have seen it several times. I had to split one hive down to 5 frame nucs to find her, but as soon as she was gone, they calmed down. Even with a new queen, it usually only takes a few weeks to see a significant difference in attitude.

Split them again. Colonies can definitely ratchet up the aggression as the population builds. If you have the equipment, cut them down again and they should get better, at least more manageable. I will also make it easier to find and kill her highness.

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

ok here is what i did, in the original hive there was 4 frames covered solid with bees, so i took 2 full frames of bees and brood and moved them to a 5 frame nuke (did this last night) bolth hives are just as hot as they were before i split them, i didnt want to make 4 hives by putting only 1 frame and make 4 hives as i thought there wouldnt be enough bees to keep everything warm, thanks

Did you ever resolve whether this hive is queenless?? My bet is that's the case here. Until you do something to get them a queen, breaking them up isn't going to solve your problems. In my opinion, with only four frames of REALLY nasty bees and no queen its almost a lost cause. Its going to be really hard to requeen this hive, without more resources than simply a purchased queen. You run a big risk of turning your wife and friends against you, which won't be good for future bee ventures. Unless you can get ahold of a beekeeper that would be willing to sell/give you some eggs or a nuc, I'd be tempted to wipe the slate clean and start fresh before someone really gets hurt.

Im telling you poor man, take the mean bees back and place them on the porch of the guy you bought them from..... I will even pay for your gas....
    You and your family DONT need hot bees like that, heck before long yer wife will say NO bees....
    T.G.
    When I grow up, I want to be like John K.......

>>>Im telling you poor man, take the mean bees back and place them on the porch of the guy you bought them from.<<<

>>>I'd be tempted to wipe the slate clean and start fresh before someone really gets hurt.<<<

DITTO....Do one or the other now. One hive is not worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Did you ever resolve whether this hive is queenless?? My bet is that's the case here. Until you do something to get them a queen, breaking them up isn't going to solve your problems. In my opinion, with only four frames of REALLY nasty bees and no queen its almost a lost cause. Its going to be really hard to requeen this hive, without more resources than simply a purchased queen. You run a big risk of turning your wife and friends against you, which won't be good for future bee ventures. Unless you can get ahold of a beekeeper that would be willing to sell/give you some eggs or a nuc, I'd be tempted to wipe the slate clean and start fresh before someone really gets hurt.
    there is caped brood, in the picture i posted the other day, so i guess there is a queen
    im still waiting for a good suit, now the ones in the nuke box seam to have calmed down a little bit today so im not sure witch box has the queen...

here is the pict http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...4/aaaf0b46.jpg

and il quit bothering everybody wit my bee troubles... thanks

Capped brood doesn't mean that you have queen. Only if you can see eggs less than three days old can you think you have a queen in your hive. Capped brood is older. I forgot how many days lasts the brood cycle.
    "Do nothing. Time is too precious to waste." Buddha

and il quit bothering everybody wit my bee troubles... thanks[/QUOTE]

Poor man..... your NOT bothering anyone here..... If I offended you by saying take the girls back Im sorry... I didnt mean anything except total concern for yourself and your family. I feel so bad for you starting out with bees like this.
    I think the guy you got them from knew they were out of controll and it sucks and is down right wrong for him not to warn you... and for a newbie, I dont think this is a good start.
    I wouldnt want to start out with mean bees..... We "newbies" have alot to learn and no sence getting mobbed by angry girls....
    So PLEASE keep sharing, seeking help, and know that we feel bad for you...

T.G.

Ditto Tileguy

Don't go away. We just want to ensure you are still with us a month from now, not in court over unusually mean bees in the neighborhood. This hive isn't normal and would take all the fun out of beekeeping. We just think it would be better for you and the ones around you to get friendlier bees.

Like these:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ee/BEES016.jpg

Or these:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ee/BEES002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tileguy View Post
    and il quit bothering everybody wit my bee troubles... thanks
    Poor man..... your NOT bothering anyone here..... If I offended you by saying take the girls back Im sorry... I didnt mean anything except total concern for yourself and your family. I feel so bad for you starting out with bees like this.
    I think the guy you got them from knew they were out of controll and it sucks and is down right wrong for him not to warn you... and for a newbie, I dont think this is a good start.
    I wouldnt want to start out with mean bees..... We "newbies" have alot to learn and no sence getting mobbed by angry girls....
    So PLEASE keep sharing, seeking help, and know that we feel bad for you...

T.G.[/QUOTE]

No im not offened buy anything you ar anyone else has said. ive beat these hot bees into the ground trying to "fix" them and there is no "quick" fix and i cant/wont wait for weeks on end for them to cool off, so they have a few days to do "somthing" then we will see,,,

Sasha...........

""Capped brood doesn't mean that you have queen. Only if you can see eggs less than three days old can you think you have a queen in your hive. Capped brood is older. I forgot how many days lasts the brood cycle.""

i have had these bees for about 2 weeks now so i dont know about the queen

thanks

Thats what Im talking about iddee....
    T.G.

I would euthanize them and start over. Same as I would with africanized bees. We dont need those genes in the genepool. Mean bees are a real pain. Like a barking, jumping and biting dog. Put em to sleep.

how often do you try to get into this hive

Poor Man, You could always register your bees and request the state inspector take a look at them.

Or, contact your local beekeeping assocation and ask if they have someone who will assist you with them. I'm sure they have someone who would be more than happy to take a look for you.

As for myself and probably most on here we wish we were closer to be a part of this experence.

Here is the contact information for the Cumberland county beekeepers association.

Cumberland County Beekeepers - meet 4th Thursday of each month at the Crossville Farm Bureau office at 7:00 p.m. Contact Kenneth Bryson, President, - (931) 484-6646 or Rebecca Abner, Secretary (931) 788-6297

Keep us posted.

Riverrat.... i brought them home about 2 weeks ago, i let the hive set for about 3 days and then i tried to look to see what i had, didnt work; then i left them for about 3 more days and tried again no luck after that i just looked in on them and have been ate up

Okb... thanks for the contact info, i didnt regester them as i have a thing for "big brother" looking in on me i did have an older man from around the county (he has 3 hives for many years now) he looked in at them and was promptly ate up he said kill em there goes $75.00 out the window. i dont know when il have any extra money to buy more.

to the rest of yall............Thank you

Default African

Get rid of the mean bees. Then go find some gentle bees to work with.

My guess is you have an Africanized hive.

If they are AHB, you will not be able to requeen, they will not let it happen.

You are best to start over, them the rest of the family will enjoy also.

Larry

Angry

You have uncapped brood so the queen was there at least a week ago.

Take them back to the guy you got them from and ask for a replacement nuc. A four frame nuc should not be that aggressive, you may have AHB with that kind of temperament.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

The biggest risk you have with these bees is that they might survive. You should never tolerate this level of aggressiveness. I would drop a chunk of dry ice into the hive at night when they were all home and seal the hive, clean out the dead bees the next day and order a package or two with new queens from gentle stock asap. Beekeeping should be an enjoyable occupation. If it isn't, it's up to you to change it.
    doug