Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Beware Killer Bees

6K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  mike haney 
#1 ·
I just captured my first swarm! Unfortunately, they landed across the street in my neighbor’s tree. First they called me, I told them I could remove the swarm but they had to call the police. I removed the swarm as my neighbor tried to get the police to block off the area so no would get stung. The police were even more afraid and stayed back about 100 feet (ha ha). The next day they become scared because a hundred or so bees remained. I explained they would leave in the next few days but they called the police again, who called me to inform me the township code officer would be paying a visit. They have no ordinance against bees but they have a catch-all nuisance law. So now if everyone who gets stung by a bee, yellow jacket, wasp or whatever, I’ll be responsible. Hopefully I can find a farm near by to remove my dangerous killer bees before any additional harassment begins. Signed Frustrated Beekeeper

#3 ·
An opportunity to 'educate' the code official? Get him/her on your side if at all possible using facts, data, photos, information, etc. to show the rationale behind the bees' action. If the person is open minded at all, you have a chance. Best luck.

#4 ·
Code enforcement

Its not the code enforcement official I need to educate, its the township board who will decide and if someone complains I sunk. If they allow me to keep hives they'll probably inform me I'll be responsible for any bee stings. Next I'll have to deal with my homeowners association which I know are pretty pigheaded. But I try!!

#5 ·
good fences make good neighbors

Sounds like your neighbors are beyond education. My first suggestion would be to move the hives to an area in the country. I myself would move to an area without a neighborhood association to help keep me from getting into trouble.;)

#9 ·
I'd tell them... well,never mind what I'd tell them.

You're going to be responsible for any kind of insect sting?!! That's a joke, right?

I'd go public(newspaper, TV, internet) exposing the foolishness of this kind of thinking, if logic and reasoning fail.

#10 ·
If anyone else in the vicinity has bees there will be swarms even if you move yours to the country. The town council, neighbors and all good bee-fearing people should be glad to have someone (you)to take care of these killers.

Tell them that you can brand your bees and if anyone gets stung they will be able to identify the owner. Also point out that you cannot be responsible for 'homeless' bees.

#12 ·
I always ask if they were able to get the number off of the ear tag. Going to the press is an awesome idea. but the press can spin it back on you depending on what side of the story they feel is more entertaining. WILD HONEYBEES RUN RAMPANT IN A LOCAL NEIGHBORHOOD, HOMEOWNERS TERRIFIED, BEEKEEPER RESPONSIBLE IS APATHETIC.

#14 ·
Wow apparently lots of folks still aren't connecting the dots.....1 in 3 hives in commercial operations dying.......agriculture's dependent on honey bees for pollination.....pollination necessary for many fruits and veggies developing.......fruits and veggies necessary for our survival.

What part of bees being important to our continued well being are they missing and why are they continuing to give beekeepers grief?

#17 ·
It's pretty disappointing that these things keep happening. However, recently a friend of mine was caught short trying to raise support to fight an overly restrictive beekeeping ordinance in a neighboring town. There is little local, state or national solvency and support when it comes to fighting these issues. Even at such a great "place" like beesource.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217423&highlight=Maine_Beekeeper

I think we should have a separate section on the forum for issues like this. Perhaps if we had some sort of organized email or criteria we could use to gently persuade with, it would be most helpful. Education is definitely key. If you can get a meeting with some people who are open to listening, you may have a chance.

Try to stay calm. Ticking these people off isn't going to help... Good luck, and let me know if you need an email sent somewhere. :)

#19 ·
I agree with Will. The mistake was asking the neighbor to call the police in the first place and established a bad precedent. The neighbor was unnecessarily alarmed by doing so (why they called the police the 2nd time).

#21 ·
I have to sympathize with you

I wanted to keep bees at our Northern Virginia home, but I made the mistake of "consulting" with our neighbors. Of course, they were all against it. One noted that he was allergic, though of course he did not keep an epipen, nor had he ever been to the hospital. What is that old saying...better to ask forgiveness than permission? Needless to say, I did not get bees. When I retired, I moved to this 2 acre site here outside Raleigh, where I hope not to encounter any problems with the neighbors this time around. But, I am not asking this time either. The surest way to discover how frail your neighbors are is to ask them if they mind if you keep bees.

Regards,

Wade

#23 ·
I didn't make a big deal out of it, Bill. I just get my equipment together (about 20 minutes to put together some new frames/foundation) and called another beekeeper to help me. I also let them know another beekeeper was on his way. Before he arrived the police were already there. What could the police do anyhow. Shoot each individual Bee??? Or have Dano Book'em?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.