Question re-using queen cup?

I bought a few nucs from Texas this weekend that have been headed up with Minnesota Hygienic queens. It appears that they were queened with queen cells and open mated in Texas. I am a bit concerned with what they were mated with.

When transferring them into hives I looked and found every queen, In one nuc I found the queen and the original queen cup had a queen cell that has been chewed down and ready to hatch.

There was a fully developed queen and good brood in the nuc. The nuc was a good four frame nuc and had plenty of room to lay in the fifth frame. I thought that maybe I should split the nuc but was unsure if they needed to supersede, so I left it.

What would you do?
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Hi Bill,

I would make the split, leaving the queen cell at the original location and moving the queen with a couple of frames to a new nuc on top of the first one. You may get a good queen that way, but if not, the original queen, who looks good at this point, is still around.
    All of my queens are open-mated, and only once in the past several years have I had an Africanized bee problem with one of them. I know that because I sent them in to be analyzed. What I don't know is if any others are Africanized but still of acceptable temperment.
    PS I have read on a recent thread about some pretty hot Minnesota Hygenics.

Jeffrey
    "I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. " John 10:11

BB, what gave you the impression that (nucs) and queens coming out of Texas WAS NOT supposed to be mated queens from Texas? If I ordered from Texas, I would think thats where they were mated and made up?

BJ, I didn't know for sure either way until I saw the plastic cups in every nuc, I thought it could be released queens OR cells introduced into the nucs. I'm not complaining, just thought it odd that either this cell did not hatch and has a queen or it is reusing the cup, something that I believe I read here that they do not do.

My concern is that the queen may have tendencies to be swarmy having made another queen so soon, or that she had usurped the nuc and is of dubious origin.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Bill,

Out of the group of nucs I got, found the queens in them all, but one had another completed cell in it. I just wrote it off as that's the way the cookie bounces. These South Dakota bees by way of Texas seem to be doing OK so far but it's early yet. The suppliers have 2,500 hives in S. Dakota and overwinter nucs in Texas.

Default You can split it

Quote Originally Posted by BULLSEYE BILL View Post
    I bought a few nucs from Texas... they were queened with queen cells and open mated in Texas... I thought that maybe I should split the nuc... so I left it...What would you do?
    Bullseye Bill,
    You can split the nuc if you have the eqpt. to do the job....That would be another three weeks befor she needs to be hived...
    Lee...

Default Bees kept in nuc swarm sooner and more often.

Swobee,
    If you are thinking that bees will not swarm in a small box, you would be wrong... It's crowding of the Queen in the box that brings swarming....
    The beekeeper that sold you the nucs was raising Queens in the early days of March in Texas... Thats two months in the box... It looks like you have some good bees...
    Lee...