Default Captured swarm performance.

In general, how do captured swarms perform? Any special management tips pertaining to captued swarms? When I was under the impression that the new queen led the swarm, I viewed this activity as the beginning of a "new", energetic colony, to be desired and captured if possible. But half a hive led by an "old" queen might be something else entirely. Your experience?

Swarms have an urgency about them. Usually they build up very quickly.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Default Swarms

"old" doesn't have to be that old the "old" queen could be two years old. The swarm I picked up two years ago is one of the best if not the best producers I have. At one point last year I had three deeps and six medium supers on it almost all of the supers were filled.Some people are a little wary of picking up swarms because they might carry disease but I think of it as a gift. You charge for the removal and you get bees good deal.

I notice that a high percentage of them supersede themselves within a couple of weeks. The ones that don't can be gangbusters or just a bust, but if they don't do well they will eventually replace the queen.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam