Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone treated nosema with coloidal silver?

I'm hesitant to use chemicals and antibiotics. Most of the beekeepers at the local club think that is naive. I have seen colloidal silver clear up bacterial and fungal infections in people and animals. I think its safe, so I've been adding it to the syrup on my new colony for the past week. I'm not sure how much to give them. I also am considering spraying them with colloidal silver when I open the hive again in a few weeks. Has anyone used colloidal silver?

Do you know your colonies have Nosema? Which Nosema are you "treating" for?
    Sheri

Default what is it?

I had no idea what silver colloids were, so I did a search. There is a link below that talks about them.

http://www.silver-colloids.com/Reports/reports.html

Default Nosema?

I'm not sure at all what it is, Nosema is just a guess. Based on 30-50 dead/day some with pooped-out guts, crawlers, yellow and brown spotting on the hive. I just got them, but the queen is laying well and they all seem to be working hard. I used all new everything.
    This is my first colony, so I don't know if this is just normal dead bee turnover, and the spotting is normal, the pictures on the internet of nosema had lots more spotting than I can see. It gets me down that my new bees might already be 'sick' The breeder I got them from treated them with apistan and fumigillin.

Sounds to me like your hive has some dysentery.

Regardless, there is little doubt that colloidal silver is a "chemical",
    so you might as well use something that is a little more tested
    and known to have some effect on a beekeeping problem.

I don't recommend any people take colloidal silver. I personally know someone whose skin turned ashen gray from taking it. He looked dead and it ruined his life. It took him years to recover. It's not safe for people. Please use care.
    ~May your hive thrive
    Aisha

Quote Originally Posted by Aisha View Post
    I don't recommend any people take colloidal silver. I personally know someone whose skin turned ashen gray from taking it. He looked dead and it ruined his life. It took him years to recover. It's not safe for people. Please use care.
    He recovered? If memory serves, Argyria is permanent.

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

Well meaning new beekeepers often begin with the philosophy of “no chemicals” but then start giving their bees concotions and potions made from what they believe are “healthy” and “natural” ingredients even though such things might be worse for the bees than “chemicals”.

There have been some recent posts on BeeSource about fecal spotting from newly hived packages. Some have replied that the bees are likely sick and of poor quality. Others (including yours truly) have mentioned it isn’t all that uncommon to see some feces on the outside of hives for a few days. Part of the disagreement I think stems from the picture people are seeing in their own minds when they read something. You know the old adage that a picture is worth a thousand words. Without actually seeing what you are seeing it can be difficult to make any sort of accurate assessment of the situation.

If you are seeing feces on the outside of your hives and give them something that seems “natural and healthy” and then the spotting clears up it can be easily assumed that the potion you gave them cleared up the problem. But would it have cleared up anyway within the same period of time if you had given them nothing at all or treated them with something that has been proven to work?

Some of this stuff that gets put into hives does get into the wax itself. Also, its been shown that honey in brood boxes has sometimes been moved later on up into honey supers, so it is conceivable that some of what gets put into the nest could end up in your supers.

Default Argyria (is permanent)

You have to take thousands of times more than the daily recommended dose for your skin to turn blue. But its recommended to AIDS and Cancer patients all the time for fungal infections, and children with pink eye. Its safe if you follow directions. (I'm a nurse)

nosema is a protozoa and not bacteria, fungus, or virus. the recommended treatment for nosema is the treatment your supplier already gave the bees. fumigillin is a natural extract from the fungus aspergillus fumigatus. i'll go out on a limb here and say that your bees are going to be ok based on:
    the queen is laying well and they all seem to be working hard. I used all new everything.
    Last edited by Dick Allen; 05-07-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Default Nosema

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Allen View Post
    nosema is a protozoa and not bacteria, fungus, or virus. the recommended treatment for nosema is the treatment your supplier already gave the bees. fumigillin is a natural extract from the fungus aspergillus fumigatus. i'll go out on a limb here and say that your bees are going to be ok based on:
    I think that they changed it to a Fungus
    Dan

Default Unbelievable

A newbie/nurse who feeds her bees medicine meant for people and animals based on a guess. Miss Kraemer, are you going to feed your bees Imodium next? I hope you don't work for Kaiser, I would hate to end up as one of your patients. I live too near you to now feel safe.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    A newbie/nurse who feeds her bees medicine meant for people and animals based on a guess. Miss Kraemer, are you going to feed your bees Imodium next? I hope you don't work for Kaiser, I would hate to end up as one of your patients. I live too near you to now feel safe.
    Hi Frank

Do you think ostracizing a new beekeeper for asking a question is going to help her continue to come forward and ask more in the future?

It's very easy for more experienced beeks to criticize newbies, I prefer to take the view they are doing their best with the information they have to hand, we can point out pitfalls and suggest alternatives, but only constructive criticism is constructive and helpful, IMO!

Best regards

Peter
    Cambridge UK

Default Who is ostracizing?

You ask a ridiculous question, you get a ridiculous answer. She is welcome to shoot back.:confused:

Big Grin

Best method for nosema treatment? Well thought I knew!
    I sat in on the class for nosema at the Big Sacramento convention this year. There was a four panal of experts on the subject.I walk out more confused than when I walk in, LOL.
    I think we are all new-bee's on this subject. When the experts can't agree, where does that leave us poor folks out in the feild.
    Last edited by Keith Jarrett; 05-08-2008 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling

I think that they changed it to a Fungus
    :confused: changed what to a fungus??

Miss Kraemer, do you see what you are getting yourself into by becoming a beekeeper? It’s not to late. Change hobbies while you still can!

Its safe if you follow directions.
    the stuff was used long ago in medicine, but by the 20th century it had fallen out of favor, replaced by more modern antibiotics. Lately, it’s being marketed by the health crowd as a food supplement. (That is, if what I am reading from Google is correct.)

(I'm a nurse)
    (I’m a ski resort chair lift operator).

Default How did "they" mess that one up?

OK, Dan. Guess I was wrong on that one. From what I've read in the past nosema was classed as protozoa. A quick Google check shows 12,500 hits for nosema protozoa vs. 14,700 hits for nosema fungus.

Dick

The last edition of The Hive and the Honey Bee calls it a protozoan and the 41st edition of ABC & XYZ calls it an organism. Just in the last year they decided to change it to a Fungus. I think they did some DNA or some newer test that they were not able to do years ago.
    Dan

Default So the question was?

Has anyone used Colliodal Silver, Well anyone?

I have it on my list of products to check, have read good things about it, kills viruses & bacteria, we all like that.

Need to test to find correct amount and how to deliver to the bee. Then see what happens.

For some of you, trace minerals are very inportant in all nutrition.

Larry

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Ishi View Post
    Dick

The last edition of The Hive and the Honey Bee calls it a protozoan and the 41st edition of ABC & XYZ calls it an organism. Just in the last year they decided to change it to a Fungus. I think they did some DNA or some newer test that they were not able to do years ago.

And in the 70's it was Global Cooling...in the 90's it was Global Warming...2006 it was Climate Change and today it's back to Global Cooling...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast