Default What's the best smoker fuel?

What is the best smoker fuel for a really good price?...Do they vary that much in effectiveness?...An oldtimer I helped work hives with 45 years ago just busted well-dried cowpatties up into chunks---anybody still doing that? Any friendly input would be appreciated.

Once it's going with kindling, I use woodstove pellets. CHEAP, a bag lasts forever, and a couple handsful will give a long burn.

You'll get a lot of answers on this, all of them correct .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Pine needles, burlap, and the old style hemp bailing twine. All free, and all good.

I'm still working on an old bag of cedar shavings (dog bedding). Very pleased with it! Will buy more if I ever finish the bag I have!

Wood stove pellets here as well. $5.00 for a 40# bag. A coulpe of handfuls in the smoker, start it with the propane torch....lasts for hours.

JT

Default Cow Pies

I use well dried cow patties. My neighbor has lots of cows, therefore a free source. Also use "horse Apples" (not Bois D' Arc). The winter kind are the best when the horses have been on hay. Summer grass horse apples are a little to moist for me.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by LtlWilli View Post
    What is the best smoker fuel for a really good price?

How's about a wad of paper (like a ripped up fast food bag from the floor of the truck), a handful of dried sticks, some larger sticks (hard wood) broken up and then a sumac bob (one of those red berry clusters)?

Net price = FREE, which is ALMOST the best price, isn't it?

DS

The guy I bought my nucs from also recommends sumac bobs. I seen them in action and they seem to work very well! I'll grab some this winter. I currently use pellet stove fuel but don't fire the smoker up very often.
    -Chris
    Top Bar Hive Blog: http://chris.norrick.com/bees

I cut cardboard boxes in to 5 inch wide strips and roll it up until it fits snugly in to the smoker. I bought some of those wood pellets a while back but always have trouble getting them lit so I went back to the cardboard.

Luke- if you need a real long burn, put some pellets on top of the cardboard. I roll cardboard up, rub it in some slum gum and it lights very easily. A roll of cardboard is good for a few hives, but when you need a good long supply of smoke - pellets are hard to beat.