Default Bees Tearing up Wax Foundation

I split a hive a few weeks back and interspersed a few undrawn frames in the brood nest. It looks like the bees have really chewed up the wax - to the point where i might need to replace it. Any idea what this is all about?

You should not add foundation until the honey flow starts or you are feeding. They will only draw comb when they have something coming in to put in it.

I am not feeding. It looked like we had a flow going based on the amount of activity outside the hive. Everything seems to be blooming or flowering. After just checking they have not drawn any comb or brought in much nectar.

Quote Originally Posted by Benton2569 View Post
    I am not feeding. It looked like we had a flow going based on the amount of activity outside the hive. Everything seems to be blooming or flowering. After just checking they have not drawn any comb or brought in much nectar.
    You should have fed. We had 8 days of bad weather, non flying weather including frost in CT, all after 2 weeks of good weather.

Gilman

Default Chewed foundation

With no necture coming in they will chew foundation up,I woud replace the chewed foundation and feed 1 to 1 syurp.

Gil, you are right. After I made the split the weather went cold and rainy. The weather is nice again and the bees are going like crazy. Either way I need to replace that frame. Lesson learned.