Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Aggressive Hive?

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Anyone ever have a hive that is more aggressive than the others?

I have one from a swarm (one of my hives) last year that has built up nicely. The queen is also laying like crazy. The problem is that from the beginning they have been more aggressive. I can't seem to do anything without them wanting to tear me up.

It is getting a little nerve wracking. Any ideas?

Thanks

#2 ·
>Anyone ever have a hive that is more aggressive than the others?

Of course.

>I have one from a swarm (one of my hives) last year that has built up nicely. The queen is also laying like crazy. The problem is that from the beginning they have been more aggressive. I can't seem to do anything without them wanting to tear me up.
>It is getting a little nerve wracking. Any ideas?

If you have reasons to want to keep some of the genetics, remove her and see if her daughter isn't much nicer. If you don't care about the genetics, then put a different queen in.

If they are too difficult to find the queen:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesrequeeninghot.htm

#3 ·
I dont care about genetics or anything else as long as it calms them down. These things hit my veil like gravel on the under side of a car.

I made a split out of this hive. Maybe I will pinch the queen from the aggresive hive and do a combine. I have never done this but have your information.

#5 ·
I'd buy a queen from someone in your area. Bjornbee sells queens, and he probably has very good genetics as his bees survive own their own merits, instead of being kept alive with lots of chemicals. Come to think of it, Michael Bush also sells queens and lives in a cold, harsh, (to my way of thinking, at least) climate so may have bees well-adapted to your area. Neither he nor Bjornbee will come out and blow their own horns and try to sell a queen to you here. If I lived in a colder climate, I would definitely buy from them versus an unknown breeder from a magazine ad.

#7 ·
Ross, that is another good idea. That queen is a great layer. These bees have been aggressive since day one. I thought that they would eventually calm down.

If I pull this queen for a nuc, would you let the hive rear their own queen? My other option is to take the queen from the split (from this same hive ) and do a combine.

Or since these bees are aggressive, would I just be feeding the cycle by continuing this line of genetics and passing it to my other hives?

#9 ·
I would keep the genetics, its local and doing well

Benton,
I think I would keep this Queen's genetics because of what you said

>The queen is also laying like crazy. <

This is a trate that may make you more honey/money... I would raise a "New Queen" from her brood and see what her gene pool is like... If the new Queen is good then she could be used to better your operation...
Lee...

#11 ·
Benton,
I agree with the others who suggest you pinch the old queen and let your good hive raise their own new one. Just my humble opinion. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

#12 ·
timing

We are on the edge of a nectar flow - any time now (weather permitting).

How important is the timing of "removing" the queen? My thought is to remove her and let them rear their own. I read that doing this before a flow is actually good since more bees are out gathering nectar versus tending to the young and household duty.

Beleive me i have been wrong before....all opinions are welcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.