Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: re-liquifying honey

I tell my customers to NEVER microwave honey. The heat is too high and will change the flavor, destroy the healthful benefits of the enzymes in the pollen, and dehydrate it to the point it can't be liquefied anymore.

I recommend running water in the sink to a temp that is as hot as you can while still being able keep your hand in it, then stopping up the sink and filling it to the level of the honey in the container. Leave it in the water bath until the water is cold or if you are in a hurry, watch it until it is liquid again.

I don't even like the recommendation on the labels you can buy from bee suppliers that say to heat water on the stove, take it off the heat, and then place the container in there, as it could be too hot.

For us beeks, a warming closet or old freezer with a light bulb and thermostat set at 95-100 works great! Even then, prolonged heating at this temp will change the flavor and color of the honey.

Here is the 'stat I use if you are comfortable wiring it up: http://www.amazon.com/Vktech-Electro...rds=thermostat

If you aren't comfortable wiring this up, Walter Kelley sells this for a few bucks more: http://www.kelleybees.com/Shop/17/Ho...-Limit-Control

I'm with papa, I have right on my rear label, DO NOT MICROWAVE.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

I put it on my front porch for the day....
    A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by indypartridge View Post
    Another vote for the dashboard!
    I put two jars on my (black) dashboard on a medium-hot day, with the windows rolled up, and by the time I got back in the car at 2:00 the jars were too hot to hold, and the honey was very clear and had the consistency of water.

I haven't tasted it yet, but I'm sure I ruined it.

I had more success leaving the honey elsewhere in the car, with my sunshade on the windshield. The car gets pretty toasty here (LA) in the summer anyway, easily 90+ degrees. After a day or two of this, the honey is liquid enough to flow if I invert the jar, but it hasn't turned clear, and the taste hasn't changed.

I'm with the low, slow crowd on this.
    What on earth have I gotten myself into?

I like the dashboard of my van for colder months and prefer moving the honey back in the vehicle at this time of year. I put a fan blowing on the jars in case boxes and keep a wireless remote thermometer with the sensor on the honey. I work from home so I can adjust the doors for ventilation to keep it from getting too hot. I try to stay around 100 degrees. Some day I hope to have room to have a hot box but you can't beet the price of free solar heat!
    Last edited by Ryan Williamson; 08-27-2014 at 12:44 AM. Reason: smart phone typos!

I had a 5 Gal. Bucket of Crystallized Honey I put in a Black plastic Trash bag and closed it and set it out in the sun for a day. I used an Infrared Thermometer and by evening it was 109*F. Worked Great. Like others have said, you can't beat FREE Sun shine.