Default Manual (non mechanical) extraction

are there any descriptions on how to do this?

I'm a first year wannabe beekeeper who's getting bees on May 10th. I have two hives, and because it's late in the season I'm not even sure if I'll have honey this year.

I don't want to make the investment in a mechanical extractor right now, since there may be nothing to harvest until next year, assuming *knock wood* the bees overwinter safely.

anyone have a link or a reference on old school extracting?

I figured I'd research this option, just in case.

thx
    to bee or not to bee ~ that is the question

Search for "crush and strain". I think you will find a number of threads about it. Also visit Michael Bush's website.

You're a HONEY HERO of the day!

first hit, and I got a description AND a video!!!

thx!

Late in the season?

The season is just getting started in Michigan and I assume in Connecticut as well. If you live in an area that has good nectar flow periods which I would think you are, it is very realistic to expect a honey surplus.

I almost always get a surplus from packages started in May sometimes I even get two extractions.
    If you don’t want to spend the money on extraction equipment try and find another beekeeper that will let you use their equipment for a couple of hives, or try and find used equipment. I bought my first extractor form a retired beekeeper for $100 bucks.
    Last edited by Brent Bean; 05-02-2008 at 07:47 AM.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

or sometimes you can find a local beek to extract for you for a small fee

Quote Originally Posted by jeff123fish View Post
    or sometimes you can find a local beek to extract for you for a small fee
    And sometimes you can make friends with another beekeeper and borrow an extractor for free! Sometimes beekeeping clubs have 'club extractors' that members can borrow.

Quote Originally Posted by indypartridge View Post
    And sometimes you can make friends with another beekeeper and borrow an extractor for free! Sometimes beekeeping clubs have 'club extractors' that members can borrow.
    I had asked a long time club member (10 years) and she didn't know of any communal extractor that the club has for rent.. which kind of surprised me, since it's a big club and I get the feeling most of the people are hobbyists with 1-5 hives.

Man, I can't make crush and strain work to save my life. I'm abandoning the hole-bottomed bucket I made and will try a reinforced paint-strainer type bag just hanging before I give up. My last strain has been sitting for a month now :mad:.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

>Man, I can't make crush and strain work to save my life. I'm abandoning the hole-bottomed bucket I made and will try a reinforced paint-strainer type bag just hanging before I give up. My last strain has been sitting for a month now.

How warm is the place you're straining it? A month in your humidity and the honey would have dried up.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Brewcat View Post
    Man, I can't make crush and strain work to save my life. I'm abandoning the hole-bottomed bucket I made and will try a reinforced paint-strainer type bag just hanging before I give up. My last strain has been sitting for a month now :mad:.
    Mikesfarm was nice enough to send me a link to a GREAT video
    http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2...nd-strain.html

I don't think it will be quite as easy for me, but it looks do-able.. check it out, it may help!

It's been indoors, and I have a black plastic trash bag over the whole thing for solar gain and to keep the moisture in. Though it hasn't been exactly hot here yet. But the house is in the upper 60s, plus hot sun on it several hours a day. Guess I'll wait until it's REALLY summer, but I'll have so much honeycomb to crush by then I'll have to figure a way to store it.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO