Default Extractor conversion

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking of converting a motorized extractor to a hand crank. I got the extractor for free and have not used it yet but the problem I forsee is the motor and pully system does not have a variable speed of any kind. I've thought of a clutch system or using an old drill but when in comes down to it, would it not be easyer to just crank a 3 frame tange. than to modify motors and pullies and mounting brackets?
    Am I wrong? I have never used a hand crank before but I don't want to continue borroing the club extractor as scheduling becomes difficult.

I'd get a variable power supply first and see if that doesn't do the trick.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

If you can move the motor so that there is slack in the belt, you could mount a pulley(kinda like a idler pulley on a car), the pulley could be loosened or tightened to take up the slack, thus making the extractor turn faster.
    years ago a friend made one and had this type of set up. Had a metal bar, bolt on one end. pulley in middle of bar, bolt was pivit point. pulley went around motor, shaft and pulley. total slack, shaft didn't turn, tighten belt slightly, shaft turns slowly, fully tightened, shaft turns fast.

Since you always want to extract in a warm room, a hand crank is one of the ways to take most of the fun out of the project.
    doug

hanover wrties:
    Call me crazy

tecumseh replies:
    yep u' yankees are crazy as a loon (not that us southern folks would even know what a loon is anyway).

my motorized conversion consist of one old variable speed hand drill (very heavy, very old), one piece of angle iron welded to the cross bar as a mounting bracket for drill and one variable voltage output device (a large and fairly heavy 'physic bench' rheostat).

needless to say the first thing I would do is toss all those nasty pullies and go to something a bit simpler.

If you go with a VPS please make sure it is a good one rated to maintain amperage. Otherwise you will fry that motor.
    Lawrence Underwood / Mobile, Alabama http://mollysueshoney.blogspot.com