Angry Will winter ever end?

Here it is the 25th of April and I've still been able to ice fish in our area. Spose to get another 8"-12" snow tonight/tommorrow, and our bees may arrive within the week from Texas. When will it end PP
    If your pulling a trigger, it really isn't bowhunting

We've had some decent weather here, but are headed for another down turn which will delay queen rearing activies until at least the 1st week of May...it sucks.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Sunny and 80 deg here.

Sunny and 75 here, but we are going to get another cold spell that will have highs of 45, with a chance of frost. I hope not. Last year, my orchard fell victem to the frost. Out of 32 trees, i got 2 apples and a pear. It sure would be nice to see the bees working the trees over. But what can you do?
    Marc
    life is like a box of chocolates,you never know what you are gonna get

Where is global warming when you need it

3 inches already,still snowing and blowing

Default spring is sprung

Here in Pa it seemed like it would be cold and nasty forever. This week, though, has seen temps in the high 70's (nights low to 50's) and an explosion of flowering plants. The skunk cabbage was first, then the dandelions and forsythia. Now everything is raging like fireworks in slow motion.

My neighbor gave us some asparagus. The peas are in and shooting up. The blueberry bushes are fleshing out. The wisteria has a lot of buds. The clematis are also ready to pop soon.

I hived four new packages exactly two weeks ago. They didn't take any of the syrup I filled up for them. I was surprised to see, when I went to remove the queen cages one week later, that one of the hives had filled the gap in with beautiful de-novo comb, half the size of a full frame at least, along the top board, partially filled with honey! I wish I had my camera. As usual, when there is something to photograph, I didn't have my camera.

Typical for nature to do it so well, when it finally decides to do it! I hope everyone else catches up soon - it was worth the wait!!

Ack, I thought we were finally on track to spring, but as I write this the snow is dumping, and there are several inches expected. I know I live in Alaska, but come on. This is getting silly.

I wish nature would be gentle with me this year -- I'm a newbie with the bees and have made several dumb mistakes in the few days I've had the bees already, including poorly jury-rigged entrance reducers that blew off in the night last night sometime. I hope the bees are alright in there. I peeked in the entrance and saw a handful of dead bees on the bottom board of one hive, but like 10-20, not a thousand or anything.

While I'm on the subject, is there anything extra I should do to help them with this new snow? They're supposedly bred for colder temps, these bees, so I suppose I should just chill. But, you know, I'm a newbie. I'm fretting.

sorry to hear about your cwappy weather. There's nothing worse then winter over stays its welcome! I'll send warm weather thoughts your way!
    Let's BEE friends

yeah sposed to snow here this weekend too..... although my girls are quite active right now..... hope it warms up soon.
    T.G.
    When I grow up, I want to be like John K.......

Quote Originally Posted by hummingberd View Post
    ....... I'll send warm weather thoughts your way!
    Ya know it's bad when Maine is warmer...
    But look out hummingberd, I think this cold is heading your way.
    Sheri

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by high rate of speed View Post
    3 inches already,still snowing and blowing
    Ya...
    Well, that's what you get when you leave all the work up to BIG SHOES in Calif.

Smile

"But, you know, I'm a newbie. I'm fretting.--martyred_cars.

I like the way you write!.... Fretting"?? That's generally what "newbies do",..lol.
    Personally, I'm "fretting" about how the Polar Bears are doing,....up there?

We have had an unusually cold/long spring here also.

A,..."silver lining": When my parents had an apple orchard 45 years ago, we always,.."fretted" when spring came,..too soon and a frost in late April to May, destroyed the crop. With a late spring, as it has been coming on, should be good for apple blossom honey and other early fruit blooms! --
    Last edited by Oldbee; 04-26-2008 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    Ya know it's bad when Maine is warmer...
    But look out hummingberd, I think this cold is heading your way.
    Sheri
    Oh PLEASE say it ain't so! Well, if it's gonna be cold, i at least hope it doesn't snow!
    Let's BEE friends