Default insurance - how do you cover it all?

i'm expanding my operation this year, to include two new bee yards, and new products (specifically beeswax soap and lipbalm, both homemade.) so far i've found policies that will cover either beekeeping (i called jerry cantu at the hartford, as suggested by several folks here in other threads) OR handmade soap (through the soapmaker's guild) but not both.

what i want is a policy that provides property damage/injury protection for my beekeeping, and product liability protection for all of my products - honey, pollen, wax products (whatever they may be.)

i know there are people selling all of these things. where did you get your coverage? (i don't own a farm, i don't know if that makes a difference to some of your policies?)

any help would be appreciated.

We get our policy ( 1 million product, 1 million injury- 2 million aggregate) through our New York State Farmers Market Asscociation. Check out Farm Bureau, see if you have any other state associations that might cover you with group buying power.

just wanted to update and thank you, joel, for the lead. i ended up with coverage for everything i need through farm family group (and now i'm a member of the farm bureau... me and my 0.3 acre backyard, ha!)

Another option which you may even want to consider is becomming a corperation. That way the company is responsible for anything like that helping to seperate your personal assets in the case of a law suit. Saddly in this day and time sometimes you can't protect yourself enough.

You could of called the insurance company direct that handles the insurance for the soap-makers guild, and spoke to them directly. They easily add ALL beekeeping items (That places like Hartford cover). Insurance companies are not a "take it or leave it" business. I called the soap-makers guild insurance company and explained my insurance that covers beekeeping, but not items such as soap, candles, etc. They said no problem, and wrote it into the policy. And it cost absolutely nothing above the premium already charged through the soap-makers guild.

I have an appointment with rep from Farm Bureau tomorrow to get a liability coverage policy for my bees. They do insist that I also switch my home owner policy which does cost slightly more. But, the homeowner policy is a 'farm' type that covers liability of my two horses.

I may end up spending slightly more but will feel a lot more comfortable with folks coming around.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

i'm glad i went with the company i did (i originally went to the hartford, and they would cover soap and things, but only up to something like 10% of my total sales.) the agent i dealt with already understood what i was talking about, and the first words out of his mouth were, "no problem, we can cover you for all of that." i'd much rather be dealing with a company that gets what i'm looking for, rather than me having to explain it to them, and try to get them to work something out for me. dealing with insurance companies is enough of a headache, without adding in a bunch of "let me see what i can do's" on top.