Thread: What a day....

Default What a day....

Just got back from getting my 2 packages of Carnies, The beekeeper asked if I would help him clean up some of his hives from the winter and put his packs in, Sure you bet...... Well the 3 of us did about 100 hives, a few hives survived the winter and when we unwrapped the insulation they came out mad as all get out......
    I got stung 7 times so yeah the bees welcomed me to their world. Course I still had to get mine in when I got home and yup..... Got stung 1 last time tonight just for good measure. Fact my eye is swollen shut. Of well its all good I reckin and I do have a new respect for all you that have to tend to your girls no matter how many or few hives you have.
    Anyway, thanks for all the info this forum offers as I have learned alot in a little time.....
    Well I have to get my flashlight and go peak at my girls again......
    T.G.
    When I grow up, I want to be like John K.......

...and I thought that I was the only latenight peeper around!! ...It's been a year since I got my first hives, but I still go out to the ones near the house here every night...Ain't it great???!!!

Yup... I like my girls, I think they settled in just fine even if it was almost dark when I hived them....
    Enjoy peeper..... LOL
    T.G.

Quote Originally Posted by tileguy View Post
    Well the 3 of us did about 100 hives, a few hives survived the winter .....
    Are you saying that out of 100 hives, only a few survived the winter? I know that Michigan had a rough winter, but still, that loss is extreme.

my question is is why is a guy with 100 hives buying packages.

Well I dont know why he buys packages, I guess he must get them at such a price break that it works. He has about 250 hives, we just only cleaned and packed 100..... He picked up 500 packages, so with selling 250 he probably gets his almost free....Seems up here most the bees do die, Im hoping to figure out a way to winter mine but will ask those questions later in the fall...
    T.G.

>>>>my question is is why is a guy with 100 hives buying packages.<<<<

When we wintered in Wisconsin we would bring packages in to replace our winter losses. We sold most of what we brought in, that made ours cheaper. This is common practice by northern beeks.
    Sheri

...Seems up here most the bees do die, Im hoping to figure out a way to winter mine but will ask those questions later in the fall...
    T.G.
    I'd suggest that you explore that theory here on beesource. I think you'll find that NOT to be true. I'm sure its much much harder to overwinter in your location than mine, but having followed this forum closely for many years it is pretty clear to me that people in climates similar to yours are successful, and at a much higher than what you posted earlier. I'd be very suspect of the methods from someone who is taking that percent losses each year (cheap packages or not). ...probably not the best mentor to model your beekeeping practices after. Start researching what others are doing in similar climates. Adopt a mite control scheme that is consistent with your beekeeping philosophy and monitor closely. Treat (if necessary) early enough to have good strong bees going into the fall. Leave plenty of resources, protect from wind and internal hive moisture, and look into the "mountaincamp" dry sugar method. Oh yeah, and have fun with your bees!!

Great advise astrobee, Yes this forum has tons of good solid info and as the season progresses I will be researching the fall/winter prep. This beekeeper is not my mentor and dont have one yet except the wisdom of the forum members. Im sure there has to bee a way to get a higher survival rate here but for now I need to focus on beekeeping 101 and get my basics down...
    Thanks again astrobee.....
    T.G.

... but for now I need to focus on beekeeping 101 and get my basics down...
    Thanks again astrobee.....
    T.G.
    Good point. Enjoy the experience. BTW, I'm orginally from MI. Never kept bees there, but my brother (in Muskegon) is starting out this spring.